We are seeking an experienced Quantitative Analyst II or Senior to join a dynamic and entrepreneurial quantitative research and modeling team. This position plays a critical role in advancing the state of statistical forecasting, economic analysis, and optimization modeling in the organization by supporting the development of a new suite of tools and value-add services that drive operational efficiency, resource optimization, and competitive advantage across utility operations.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
: This role includes a strong base salary (dependent upon relevant experience) as well as an annual incentive bonus program. We offer an extensive benefits package that includes, but is not limited to, educational and training support including tuition reimbursement, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), paid time off, paid holidays and annual floating holidays, company paid short term and long term disability, paid maternity and paternity benefits, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
LOCATION: Fayetteville, AR (preferred) or Rapid City, SD
A Comprehensive Relocation Plan is offered for this position! Our benefits include but are not limited to: home finding trip, transportation of household goods, temporary housing expenses, destination apartment search assistance, paid time off to move, transition and spousal career support, home finder and purchase assistance, relocation adjustment allowance, destination new purchase closing costs. Depending on individual circumstances, our benefit may also include trips home during temporary housing, renter’s lease cancellation assistance, or home marketing and sale closing cost assistance and/or purchase closing cost assistance. Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may vary based on position.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Manager, Quantitative Analytics
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs advanced quantitative analyses and model development to drive decision-making.
- Hands-on experience building econometric and statistical models to solve complex forecasting and pricing/revenue/resource optimization problems.
- Passion for and ability to conceptualize, develop, and deploy new technological applications and decision support tools, including programming models and web applications in R and Python and working with information technology teams to move models/applications from prototype to production.
- Ability to apply principles of data engineering, including working directly with information technology teams on data warehousing and database architecture projects to support the data needs of the Quantitative Analytics team.
- Experienced across the data science pipeline: writing efficient queries and extracting, cleaning, processing, and visualizing large volumes of data to derive insights.
- Knowledge of best-practice data governance and model risk management: validation, testing, and control standards, including testing of assumptions, computational accuracy, and documentation of model weaknesses and risks.
- Strong professional communication skills, including the ability to explain model design, risks, and outputs, and the ability to interface with executive leadership to translate complex analyses into action.
- Continuous pursuit of cutting-edge knowledge and skills in the fields of statistic, economics, operations research, computer science, and data science.
- Finance, Accounting, and Regulatory Departments
- Information Technology Departments
- Utility Engineering, Operations, Gas Asset Optimization Departments
- Continuous Improvement Team
- Highly proficient in mathematics: Calculus (differential, integral, stochastic), linear algebra and differential equations, probability and statistics.
- Familiarity with prototyping and developing applications in programming languages (Java/ C++/Python).
- Familiarity with concepts in machine learning and simulation modeling.
- Minimum 1 year of experience in database modeling and data warehousing principles with proficiency in SQL.
- Minimum 2 years of graduate-level academic or 3 years of professional experience in a statistician, quantitative modeling, econometrics or data scientist role.
- Minimum 2 years of experience and advanced proficiency in using statistical programming languages such as R and Python – SciPy and scikit-learn libraries.
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in a statistician, quantitative modeling, econometrics or data scientist role.
- Minimum 3 years of experience and advanced proficiency in using statistical programming languages such as R and Python – SciPy and scikit-learn libraries.
- Bachelor’s degree in Operations Research, Statistics, Econometrics, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics or related discipline required.
- Master’s degree in Operations Research, Statistics, Econometrics, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics or related discipline preferred.
- Master’s or PhD degree in Statistics, Econometrics, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics or related discipline preferred. PhD preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of mathematics, statistics, engineering methods, and other principles and laws of scientific and economic disciplines required to analyze complex systems
- Interest in and basic knowledge of machine learning and big data analytics
- Interest in climate science and meteorology.
- Statistical programming languages
- Technology development life-cycle
- Quantitative modeling design and validation
- Entrepreneurial, creative, curious, and inquisitive
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced undefined and ambiguous environment
- Able to apply principles of the scientific method and empirical research
- Exceptional work ethic
- High energy
- Strategic thinker
- Exceptional math skills
- Excellent problem solver
- Ability to gain credibility of peers and executive leadership
- Applicant must be able to perform the essential job functions of the position with or without accommodation.
About our Company: We are a growth-oriented, vertically integrated energy company that is devoted to our communities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2800 employees and serve 1.25 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas). Our non-regulated businesses generate wholesale electricity and produce natural gas, oil and coal.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an EEO Employer.