Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, Business Administration or related field; Minimum of 5 years of professional experience at an executive level in the areas of marketing, branding, media relations, and/or communications, preferably in multiple organizational settings preferably higher education. A proven and successful track record of management and supervisory experience, preferably with creative teams.
Purpose of Job
Alcorn State University seeks a highly-motivated, organized, professional and experienced team member for the position of Senior Director of Marketing and Communications (SDMC).
The Senior Director of Marketing and Communications will oversee the University’s Office of Marketing and Communications and is charged with creating and executing a comprehensive, innovative and integrated marketing and communications plan, providing excellent public relations, managing a strategic online presence and directing creative services to promote, enhance and protect the University desired image and brand. Reporting directly to the Vice President for Institutional Advancement in conjunction with the University President, the SDMC will direct executive, external and internal marketing, branding, strategic communications, digital and print publications, campus signage, electronic media, photography and video production creative services as well as public relations and product trademark licensing for the university. The ideal candidate must be an effective and agile multi-tasker with an ability to handle sensitive and confidential information, prioritize competing assignments and deadlines, while producing highly accurate work product.
Scope of Responsibilities
The Senior Director will plan, develop, integrate, and implement the University’s marketing and communications strategy, program and activities for diverse audiences, both external and internal. He or she will be responsible for varied and integrated communications products and services including: e-newsletters and print publications including the university magazine, website and other online communications; social media and public relations and marketing. The SDMC will work collaboratively with senior leadership to develop and implement communication strategies to drive broader awareness and support for the university. The Senior Director will provide recommendations on policy and action in the management of issues and crises affecting the university, including media relations.
Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, Business Administration or related field; Minimum of five (5) years of professional experience at the executive level in the areas of marketing, branding, media relations, and/or communications, preferably in multiple organizational settings preferably higher education. A proven and successful track record of management and supervisory experience, preferably with creative teams.
Essential Job Functions
• Supervise the writing, editing, production and release of all official university and athletics news, alerts, features, and news statements (oral and written);
• Manage the appearance and branding identity of all University multi-media, print and electronic materials such as letterhead, use of logo, brochures, etc.;
• Direct editorial, design, layout, production, and distribution of all University publications that serve as communication vehicles for the University’s key messages and audiences;
• Oversee and guide photography and video production;
• Provide support for executive communications, as well as, manage internal communications, including development and editing of speeches and presentations for the University President;
• Drive media interest in the University and ensure regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests;
• Develop and oversee a dynamic, interactive, informing and comprehensive website that meets the needs of multiple constituencies;
• Administer the strategic use of social media networks and other current online tools to disseminate brand messages and achieve University objectives;
• Provide oversight coordination of sports marketing, information and media relations;
• Assist with the coordination of the University’s trademark licensing program;
• Partner specifically with admissions, schools and departments in the development of marketing materials and communications plans to support student recruitment and other university objectives;
• Facilitate consensus among important University constituents regarding brand positioning, branding goals, and communications vehicles;
• Develop and implement a university-wide comprehensive, innovative and integrated marketing and communications plan
• Lead the creation of research-based integrated marketing campaigns in print, electronic, multimedia, online and social media environments to effectively reach the University’s target audiences;
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
1. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
2. Proven ability as a marketing professional with working knowledge of advertising, public relations, reputation management, web relations, new communications channels and technologies, and community relations.
3. Record of success in branding, positioning, and corporate identity.
4. Experience with marketing and/or promotional campaigns.
5. Ability to produce or edit publications including marketing materials and writing correspondence.
6. Excellent copy-editing skills.
7. Ability to write speeches and other forms of executive communications.
8. Effective interpersonal, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
9. Highly organized, creative problem-solver and attentive to detail.
10. Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly, and completely unsupervised, while under deadline.
11. Approach issues and crisis management in a way that anticipates needs and ensures timely action.
12. Excellent judgment of what is and is not newsworthy.
13. Confidence and ability to serve as an institutional spokesperson on diverse issues in a variety of settings with a wide range of constituencies both internally and externally.
14. Use forward-thinking and creative approaches to exploit evolving technologies in support of marketing and communications strategies.