The IT Splunk Service Owner will:
- Play a leading role in shaping vision and defining strategy for the Splunk security intelligence and operational intelligence across BCG’s global IT.
- Create and maintain a roadmap for Splunk security intelligence and operational intelligence capabilities
- Be responsible for and drive implementation of committed roadmap items
- Develop performance reporting and metrics to help drive business decision-making
- Participate and contribute to BCG’s IT architecture forums (GTO Virtual Architecture Team, Architecture Advisory Board, etc.)
- Act as the global point of contact and a subject matter expect for topics related to Splunk.
- Supervise operational activities performed by internal staff and out-tasking providers
- Play an active role in ensuring the Confidentiality Integrity and Availability triad of BCG's assets
- Develop, implement, and maintain all aspects of Splunk architecture in support of both security and operational intelligence objectives.
- Work closely with peers and colleagues across the Global Technology and Operations team, Information Security and IT Service teams to insure that implementation and operations is aligned with standards and performs to high reliability and availability specifications
The candidate must have deep data logging, analytics networking skills- minimally equivalent to Cisco ‘Professional’ level- experience, ‘Expert’ preferred. S/he will use these skills daily, responding to implementation (project) requests and operations (break-fix) escalations. The IT Splunk Product Manager will be the senior member of the QICK team and will represent the Splunk capabilities across the larger global IT group. S/he will play a key role in the setup process as well as become supervisor of Splunk operations. This role has immediate impact and influence on planning and implementation of any infrastructure project that requires log collection, log monitoring and reporting as well as other data analytics like Splunk IT Service Intelligence or Splunk for Analytics and Data Science (Machine Learning, Transactional Analysis, Anomaly Detection)
This position requires expertise using Splunk in support of both business and security objectives. As a result, the selected candidate will have significant visibility with BCG and the chance to make an immediate impact.
The Boston Consulting Group (BCG) is a global management consulting firm and the world’s leading advisor on business strategy. We partner with clients from the private, public, and not-for-profit sectors in all regions to identify their highest value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their enterprises. BCG was founded in 1963 and is a privately owned firm with more than 14,000 employees across 85 offices in 48 countries. Integrity, respect for the individual, delivering value, and making an impact on society are just some of BCG's core values. BCG's commitment to both our clients' success and our own standards is what sets BCG apart as a world-class professional services organization. Join BCG - start your career at a company that is consistently ranked as the leader in its field, and is acknowledged as one of the best places to work.
Basic Job Requirements
Education, Certifications or comparable experience
- BS/BA degree in computer science or related field
- Splunk Architect certification
- Splunk Administrator certification
- Possesses a minimum of 6 years of professional experience with system administration and operations
- A minimum of 3 years of work experience with Splunk real-time processing architecture and deployment;
- 3 or more years of supervisory experience
- Experience in requirements analysis, engineering, product testing
- Experience running system in an ITaaS environment
- Experience with log collection, log management and Security Event and Incident Management (SIEM) technologies/integrations
- Experience managing Managed Security Service Provider (MSSP)
- Expert knowledge of TCP/IP and networking fundamentals
- Experience in SOAP, REST API, web-based technologies and scripting languages including Python and shell scripting, XML, HTML
- Splunk dashboard design a big plus
- ITIL Certifications are a plus
- Demonstrated knowledge of general business principles is a plus
Functional /Technical Skills
- Broad overall architectural infrastructure background with proven experience in technology and methodology
- Infrastructure experience and detailed knowledge of related technologies, products and services
- Hands-on and consultative skills with design-to-operate scenarios involving new environments
Adjoined areas of Information Technology
- Service Owner and/or Business Relationship Manager experience in an ITaaS organization
- Familiarity with Windows debugging/troubleshooting toolset (e.g. Procmon, Procexp, Autoruns, WinDbg, NetMon/MMA/Wireshark)
- Proficiency in at least one scripting or declarative languages (e.g. PowerShell, VB, Bash, SQL, regex, etc.)
- IT governance, Architecture and related frameworks (e.g. ISO/IEC 38500:2008, COBIT, TOGAF, CMM, LSS, ISO/IEC 27000 series)
- Technical Program architecture, implementation and operations competencies at the senior level
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills in English; command of additional languages will be considered a plus
- Strong interpersonal and teaming skills
- Strong problem solving skills, including the ability to clearly define the problem and potential solutions and consider the broader impact of solutions
- Ability to successfully interface and connect with skilled technologists and non-technical stakeholders, including members of the C-suite
- Well-honed and credible influencing skills including the ability to negotiate and gain consensus between involved parties where competing priorities exist
- Able to effectively handle difficult and stressful situations with poise, tact and patience, while demonstrating a sense of urgency
- Network design, implementation, and execution in a services environment
- Partnership capabilities with MSPs
- Exceptional work management, organization and planning
- Demonstrated customer services and business orientation
- High level of initiative, self-motivation, resourcefulness and collaboration
- Ability to work well independently as well as part of a team bringing a sense of urgency to the tasks at hand
- Must be able to perform successfully in a fast-paced, intellectually intense, service-oriented, global (follow the sun) environment
- Must be able to interpret rules and guidelines flexibly to enhance the business and in keeping with BCG’s values and culture
The Boston Consulting Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity / expression, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law, where applicable, and those with criminal histories will be considered in a manner consistent with applicable state and local laws. In addition, as a federal government contractor, BCG maintains an affirmative action program which furthers its commitment and complies with recordkeeping and reporting requirements under certain federal civil rights laws and regulations.
Under the general direction of the IT Director and working with peers within Information Security, Global Technology Operations, IT Architecture and other functions throughout the firm, the role will perform, but is not limited to, the following duties:
- Strategic and technical planning, implementation and operations of BCG’s Splunk capabilities and platforms, collaborating with architecture, implementation and operation teams
- Implementation, technical and operational oversight of the growing network security portfolio. Evaluate new data sources. Lead upgrades as needed.
- Handoff and acceptance of Splunk solutions into operations. Ownership and validation of configuration changes.
- Creation of a comprehensive network security capability, optimizing and automating repetitive tasks
- Assistance during significant large-scale operational outages
- Manage change management initiatives.
- Advocate Splunk best practices and ensure alignment
- Achievement and maintenance of applicable industry and product certifications
IT Splunk Product Manager