Do you dare to reinvent the future of education?
At Cengage, we are harnessing the power of tech to build a future where all learners have the tools and confidence to achieve their goals.
As a Cengage employee you will pioneer transforming the way people learn. Collaborating with the best of the best, you will feel challenged and inspired to do breakthrough work. With the support of our united team, there is no limit to what you can imagine, create and set in motion.
Are we right for you?
We are A-players who bring our unique talent and POV to the table every day. We are curious and comfortable with change and are willing to take risks to transform education. Most importantly, everything we do, we do for the learner.
The Software Developer II will be responsible for application development and support of Cengage's high-quality, electronic products. The Developer will work in a highly collaborative, cross functional and Agile team. The Developer will also be responsible for developing unit testing and overall integration tests for the project team.
What You'll Do Here:
- Test-drives awesome code, working closely with other Agile team members.
- Gets things done. Takes ownership of tasks when others do not. Helps drive the completion of all kinds of work tasks.
- Helps break down, estimate, and provide just-in-time design for small increments of work.
- Builds a strong team using their collaboration skills.
- Promotes improvements in version control, continuous integration, project build, and project automation.
- Pair programs with different people in many situations.
- Performs root cause analysis, technology evaluation, and design spikes.
- Provides direction and shares knowledge with team members in areas of expertise.
- Continuously learns, and is unafraid to learn new practices, processes, technologies, and languages.
- Continuously acts to enhance knowledge of new technologies, business processes, and project management skills, staying abreast of trends, latest industry developments and knowledge sharing among colleagues.
- Provides development and support for portions of one or more applications which may span multiple product or platform development teams.
- Commits to completing well-defined work, and delivers on those commitments.
- Participates in weekly iteration demos for product managers.
- Reports status of assigned software development and/or maintenance tasks.
- Consistently follows software development methodology.
- Continuously learn and drive industry-leading practices, processes, and technologies.
Skills You Will Need Here:
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or Engineering and recent, relevant work experience.
- Direct working experience with Graph database along with Java development and big data knowledge.
- Knowledge of and desire to work in an Agile development environment.
- Thorough understanding of and experience in object oriented design and programming.
- Familiarity with wide portfolio of software development applications, environments and languages.
- Experience using source code control systems, such as Git, Subversion, or CVS.
- Knowledge of XML parsing, and/or DOM traversal.
- Strong verbal and written English communication skills required.
- Creative problem solving skills and ability to effectively communicate and translate feedback, needs and solutions.
- Must have strong teamwork orientation and the ability to foster collaboration within and across teams.
- Must be sensitive to cultural differences in interactions and in the way work is done.
- Needs good work ethic and strong sense of ownership of end result.
- May require up to 10% travel, including international travel.
- Advanced degree preferred.
- Experience with Agile development methodologies, including XP methods such as Test Driven Development and pair programming.
- Experience with a variety of Database Systems, such as LDAP, Oracle, Sybase, MongoDB, NoSQL.
- Knowledge of search engine development, particularly with Lucene as a component.
- Understanding of Web Standards, Accessibility, and command of Semantic markup (XHTML, HTML5).
- Passion for working in the academic, professional or library markets, and experience with technologies within those markets such as LMS, eReaders, OPAC, OpenURL, Z39.50, and SRU/SRW.
- Experience developing for mobile devices.
Cengage is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to attracting and retaining a talented and diverse workforce. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Cengage is the education and technology company built for learners. The company serves the higher education, K-12, professional, library and workforce training markets worldwide. Cengage creates learning experiences that build confidence and momentum toward the future students want. The company is headquartered in Boston, MA with an office hub in San Francisco. Employees reside in nearly 40 countries with sales in more than 125 countries around the world. Visit us at www.cengage.com or find us on Facebook or Twitter.