Provides portfolio management leadership in the management, implementation, prioritization, sequencing, and selection of projects within the Southern Africa region. Integrates the planning process with the portfolio prioritization process to ensure alignment of the portfolio with the organization’s objectives and constraints. Develops and delivers action-oriented portfolio scorecards, metrics, governance and reporting to support decision making. Provides project and program management services including; mentoring, project management best practices, tools and templates.
Acts as a communication conduit for portfolio-related project status, actions, decisions, risks and issues, and schedules for strategic initiatives. Works with the East and Southern Africa Business Unit Director and regional team to resolve issues and ensure cross-functional project process consistency. May function as a Project Director on large complex multi-sector projects; possesses the skill to manage people, events and diverse cultures and must be proficient in a specific area of expertise. Builds the skills and capabilities of project staff managing projects within the portfolio.
Major Duties and responsibilities
- Plans and manages the project(s) in the country/region.
- Manages the country/regional office and sub offices (if applicable).
- Ensures the achievement of results of which FHI360 is responsible under agreement with the donor.
- Ensures program quality according to FHI 360 standards.
- Ensures that resources are utilized in accordance with applicable FHI 360 and donor policies and procedures.
- Ensures appropriate monitoring of subprojects to achieve financial, administrative, and programmatic goals.
- Oversees production of timely and accurate financial and programmatic reports to FHI 360 and donors.
- Ensures that appropriate office policies and procedures are developed and implemented.
- Manages the project level information system in order to fully respond to donor reporting requirements.
- Manage development of and monitors work plans and budgets; ensures appropriate levels of technical assistance in program operations; coordinates partner efforts in program implementation; ensures appropriate program monitoring and accurate financial and programmatic reporting to HQ, and other donors as required.
- Provide technical assistance through the review and/or writing of proposals, protocols, papers, reports to ensure accuracy and appropriateness.
- Contributes to resource development efforts: identify RD opportunities; leads or participates in proposal development process. Ensure appropriate technical, programmatic, financial support to country programs.
- Directs Program and Project Management Leading Practices, Mentoring and Support Initiatives.
- Fosters innovation and drives adoption of leading practices and provides subject matter expertize to Project Managers, Project Directors, Directors, Program and Functional Managers and/or business partners related to the project management function, process and/or tools.
- Provides capacity planning models and identifies potential resource conflicts across the portfolio.
- Maintains an overall governance and understanding of dependencies associated with resources and projects across the project portfolio.
- Provides project, program and portfolio metrics, and analytics to support business and executive decision making.
- Manages regional or project office staff that involves interviewing, selection, training and orientation, establishing performance expectations and conducting performance assessments.
- Performs or duties as assigned by Line Manager.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Proven skills in management, supervision, leadership and networking.
- Knowledge of strategic planning, administrative, and financial management systems.
- Diplomatic and policy development.
- Knowledge of public health related issues.
- Works within a large program budget size.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues surrounding public health.
- Written and verbal communication skills.
- Routine coordination with all FH 360 employees, on-site and in the field.
- Works well with others to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
- Close liaison and relationship building with donors, local NGOs/PVOs partners, and public/private agencies.
- Participation in management team meetings and other appropriate forums.
- Represent organization and group at professional meetings and conferences.
- Ability to travel within the region and/or within the project country and internationally if needed.
- BS/BA in public health or related field, and 11-13 years relevant experience in international development programs with 5-7 years supervisory experience. Overseas field experience required.
- MS/MA/MPH in public health or related field, and 9 - 11 years relevant experience in international development programs, with 5-7 years supervisory experience.
- PhD, MD or equivalent degree with 7 - 9 years relevant experience in HIV/AIDS or family planning with international development programs and 5-7 years of supervisory experience.
- Multi-sectorial experience in the areas of healthcare, economic development, public health, and education. Overseas field experience required.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360's Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.