The Africa Research Monitoring & Evaluation (RM&E) Manager’s primary responsibility is to provide strategic direction, technical guidance, and on-the-ground support to RM&E projects taking place in Africa, and secondarily support global RM&E strategies and initiatives. The Manager provides support and assistance to Room to Read’s Country Office teams in South Africa and Tanzania, and Global Office staff based in Africa. The Manager will also take a lead role in research and technical assistance activities in Rwanda.
This position is based in Kigali, Rwanda, Pretoria, South Africa or Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, depending upon where the successful applicant is currently based, and is legally eligible to work. This position requires frequent travel to countries in Africa where Room to Read operates. The desired start date for this position is March 1, 2018.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Travel regularly to provide hands-on support and coaching to Country Office colleagues on the implementation of research and evaluation projects.
- Analyze quantitative and qualitative data, synthesize findings, and write summary reports.
- Provide technical support to Country Office colleagues on research design.
- Support Country Offices in strengthening their program monitoring systems, and effectively communicating and utilizing data for program improvement.
- Train and mentor Country Office RME staff to develop the necessary knowledge and skill sets to run methodologically strong evaluations and research studies.
- Work with Global, Regional, and Country Office colleagues to identify research needs and develop research designs and proposals. Contribute to global research, monitoring and evaluation strategies and operational plans.
- Stay informed about research and trends in education and in research and evaluation to inform our strategy accordingly.
- Identify and build a regional professional network to increase collaboration with organizations engaged in research, monitoring and evaluation in programmatic areas aligned with Room to Read’s focus.
- Represent Room to Read’s research, monitoring and evaluation work in external forums such as conferences, government and community meetings, etc.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in a related field (e.g. education, social sciences, economics)
- A minimum of 7 years of professional experience, with at least 3 years of experience (based internationally or in-country) leading research, monitoring and evaluation activities in low income countries, including designing and managing data collection efforts
- Strong technical competence in research, monitoring and evaluation methods
- Strong analytical and writing skills, as demonstrated by the ability to produce high quality reports
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analysis skills, with proven ability to work with data software packages such as Stata/SPSS/SAS and qualitative data analysis software such as NVivo
- Experience with digital data collection platforms and protocols
- Ability to travel frequently within Africa
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
- Prior experience living and/or working in one or more African countries
- Prior experience living and/or working in rural areas
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish productive working relationships both internally and externally
- Familiarity with measurement strategies for early grade reading and life skills preferred
Room to Read offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing the world through literacy and gender equality in education.
Global Office Africa - PretoriaRwanda, Tanzania - Main - Dar Es Salaam
To be successful at Room to Read, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be a proactive and innovative thinker who achieves results and creates positive change
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Embrace diversity and a commitment to collaboration
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Room to Read is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled