Vanguard, one of the world’s largest investment management companies and a recognized employer of choice, seeks a Senior Operations Research & Decision Scientist to be a leader who identifies constraints across the organization and interacts with other organizations to optimize end to end process performance to increase client satisfaction. Applies scientific principles to business management, providing a quantitative basis for complex decisions. Employs techniques from other mathematical sciences, such as mathematical modeling, statistical analysis, and mathematical optimization. Operations research determines the optimum processes, workflows and resource allocation to enable senior leadership across organizations to make data driven decisions. Also performs Black Belt level six sigma analysis to drive projects that have high business impact to meet Vanguard strategic objectives.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Supports divisional strategies to increase business performance using Operational Research. Supports other areas of the business as needed to drive end to end optimization.
2. Manages six sigma black belt level complex projects, and stakeholder relationships. Develop in-depth expertise in business processes and operations. Build long-term relationships at middle and senior levels of the organization. Act as a mentor, helping to develop the professional growth of others on the Operational Excellence Team.
3. Develops/maintains a model for the business unit to optimize business operations. Assess the quality and risk of model methodologies, outputs, and processes. Business applications of the model include: supply demand and KPI modeling, scenario sensitivity analysis, SegVar and routing models, simulation of supply, demand and KPIs using stochastic modeling, Capital Allocation decision models and optimized schedules.
4. Develops alternative model approaches to assess model design and advance future capabilities.
5. Understands relevant business processes and portfolios associated with model use.
6. Understands technical issues in econometric and statistical modeling and apply these skills toward assessing model risks and opportunities.
7. Supports CONN meetings and work with the CONN to enhance their model and capabilities.
8. Uses the model to optimize processes and run simulations to determine outcomes before implementation of improvements.
9. Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate should possess:
- Undergraduate degree or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Advanced degree in Computer Applications/ Engineering/ Mathematics/ Operations research (with strong quantitative background) preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years related work experience with progressive responsibility.
- Exceptional organizational, relationship management, and critical thinking skills.
- Experience in building business algorithms/ scenario planners/ solving business problems using optimization techniques and running project management offices.
- Excellent problem-solving skills with a proven ability to derive meaningful insights from data input and output from the model.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including strong facilitation and presentation skills to varying audiences.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft applications (PowerPoint, Word and Excel).
- Knowledge of applying fundamental operations research and statistical techniques.
- Ability to interact at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work independently.
Financial services experience would be beneficial.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.