Are you ready to play a prominent role in the management and development of leading edge content for a dynamic market area? This could be your opportunity to take your career to the next level becoming our Publisher – Computer Science Journals!
In our Computer Science Publishing team, we are looking for a Publisher – Theoretical Computer Science Journals. The team is part of our Science, Technology and Medical Journal (STMJ) Publishing Organisation. In total, STMJ consists of approximately 660 fte based, for example, in the UK, USA, Germany, The Netherlands, China and India. STMJ is responsible for publishing over 1800 journal titles (24% of the global market), with new journal launches and society contract acquisitions ensuring annual growth.
As our Publisher, you deliver realization and business plans aiming at the development and maintenance of a defined list of particular journals within the scientific area of theoretical computer science, in line with the strategy, plans and global objectives at STMJ level. You contribute to, and execute, a competitive growth strategy, including a strong focus on quality and volume. You maintain the existing portfolio and networks (e.g. Editors), matching developments in the external marketplace and where appropriate reposition portfolios of journals to capture new fields and opportunities.
You are aware of all relevant trends in the Publishing industry, whether this is related to technology, Social Media or content enhancement. You are analytical and your mindset is distinguished by innovation and creativity. As our Publisher networking comes natural to you and you have no problem demonstrating strategic and commercial awareness.
You will be part of a dedicated team of other Publishers, reporting to the Publishing Director of Computer Science. Preferably, you will be based in the New York, Amsterdam or Beijing.
- Overall responsibility for the journal product portfolio with emphasis on content growth and quality strategy.
- Listen to the community and turn feedback into new/improved services and/or products.
- Managing content growth organically and by (title) acquisition as well as managing innovation of content formats and content extensions and channels
- Overseeing the overall portfolio management, including development of society owned or other 3rd party content and non-subscription commercial opportunities, including conferences.
- Overseeing and where necessary guiding negotiation of editorial and title contracts.
- Make an immediate impact and build and maintain a strong network both with, and beyond, current Elsevier editors, authors and societies; develop a strong connection/affiliation with scientific and medical community and associated stakeholders such as funding bodies.
What you should bring
- PhD, preferably in Computer Science
- 3-4 years relevant Science/Technical/Medical publishing experience
- Proven track record of full awareness, application and remaining up to date on technology, Social Media and content enhancement in that context.
- Performance, results orientation and project management
- Creative, entrepreneurial, innovative attitude
- Strong communication skills (both verbal as well as written) and team player
- Strong networking and negotiation skills
- Strategic and commercial awareness
- Financially literate, experience with planning and analysis
- Experience in working in a complex, matrix international environment
What we offer
We welcome you to a truly global, dynamic and challenging environment with great opportunities to develop yourself. Elsevier’s benefits are very competitive and the summary below will give you an idea of the kind of things you can expect when joining Elsevier in the Netherlands.
- Competitive salary
- 27 days of leave
- Attractive collective health care insurance package with considerable reduction rates
- Solid Pension Plan of which 70% of the premiums is paid by Elsevier
- Profit share or bonus plan subject to the company annual results
- You can participate in the convertible personnel bond loan scheme
- Flexible working arrangements
- Travel allowance for commuting between home and work
- Reductions to several personal insurance packages due to our collective agreements
- Additional benefits, like memberships of Elsevier’s magazines, discount on books and in-house sport facilities
- Numerous training, coaching and e-learning modules for long term job opportunities and development
- Several local and global networking communities to share best practices and knowledge
- Various social responsibility programs, channeling knowledge and strengths to help communities around the world improve education, science, healthcare and protect the environment.
This job requires travelling 30% of the year.
An assessment or business case could be part of our selection procedure. A pre-employment screening will be part of our recruitment procedure.
Elsevier does not accept unsolicited assistance from vendors including and without limitation, search firms, staffing agencies and recruiting agencies for this employment opportunity. Resumes submitted by external vendors and third parties to any employee via-email, the Internet or any other method without a valid, written underlying agreement between parties for this position will not be considered. No fee or other compensation will be paid in the event the applicant is hired by Elsevier as a result of an unsolicited introduction