This team’s goal is to provide real-time and historic operational, client interaction data in a consumable format to support the analytics and reporting needs of our business partners and to enable new insights into their respective businesses, primarily Retail Investors Group Operations. The program is currently migrating all of big Data and analytics work from the on-premise Hadoop and external vendor sources to the AWS cloud-based datalake.
Ideal candidates should have an understanding of cloud architecture and distributed system principles. Strong working knowledge with databases and big data Hadoop technologies including Spark. Candidate must have demonstrated solid experience with Java, Python, Scala and scripting languages, and the development toolkit (JIRA, BitBucket/Git, Bamboo, etc;). More importantly, it is highly desired to have more than one year of development experience with AWS ecosystem. Less experience will be considered for a candidate who has proven ability to be a quick-learner, and have experimented with new programming tools. This challenging role is for someone who enjoys not only developing proof-of-concepts, but also helping team to implement solutions.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provides expert level IT technical lead services and direction for critical software, middleware, and/or hardware projects (e.g., applications, networks, communications, and client server technologies) on multiple platforms. Provides technical expertise in systems, technical infrastructure, tools, modeling, external interfaces, and other technical areas. Completes complex development, design, implementation, architecture design specification, and maintenance activities.
- Ensures the viability of IT deliverables. Recommends development options, including design, build/buy, and vendor purchase. Approves the team’s technical deliverables. Conducts testing, including functionality, technical limitations, and security.
- Identifies potential solutions, including the cost/benefit of each option. Approves technical solutions proposed by team members. Elevates complex technical issues to IT experts, including architects and vendors. Resolves technical problems discovered by testers and internal clients. Responds to and resolves technical issues in a timely manner. Researches issues and performs root cause analysis.
- Communicates with project manager on a frequent basis. Identifies tasks and issues that may have an impact on service levels or schedules. Provides realistic task and cost estimates. Screens resumes of team members, interviews, makes hiring and assignment recommendations, and writes reviews.
- Maintains a current and working knowledge of IT development methodology, architecture design, and technical standards. Mentors IT staff and identifies training needs. As new standards are instituted, ensures their usage by team members. A Technical Lead II should be able to perform as a Developer III.
- Communicates with other technical leads, IT groups, and clients so they understand the project’s technical implications, dependencies, and potential conflicts. Evaluates the impacts of change requests on own/shared technologies and effectively persuades and influences others on ideas.
- Reviews and approves documentation and diagrams created by IT team members (e.g., system specifications). Writes documentation, including technical standards and processes.
- Identifies opportunities for continuous quality improvement of technical standards, methodologies, and technologies.
- Participates in design, code, and test inspections throughout product life cycle to identify issues. Participates as a technical consultant at other project meetings. Presents technical status and issues at milestone reviews.
- For teams without a BSA, performs this staff member’s duties, including interviewing business liaisons to diagram process flows and to write functional requirements. In the absence of the project manager, performs this staff member’s duties, including coordinating daily systems analysis and development activities.
- Thoroughly understands and complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established client service levels. Thoroughly understands and complies with Information Security policies and procedures, and verifies deliverables meet Information Security requirements.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience
- 8+ years experience in a technical specialty. For development technical leads, includes three years’ developer experience.
- Strong, demonstrated analysis and problem solving skills
- Broad knowledge of the financial services industry
Expert knowledge of the following technical lead practices and concepts:
- Full product life cycle
- IT vendor product assessment
- Architecture design
- Wide range of technologies within technical specialty – from state of the art to legacy systems
- Performance and stress testing
- Quality assurance methodology and Inspections
- Technical standards and deliverables
- Migration and integration
- Estimating, including design, development/purchase, and installation
- For development only: Production acceptance (including elevations), data modeling, data sharing, reusable components, and related advanced development practices
***Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position***