United States-San Diego-Fairmont Grand Del Mar
A special occasion calls for great food! As a Sous Chef with Fairmont Hotels and Resorts you will lead a team of culinary professionals in creating spectacular dishes that will create memorable dining experiences for our Guests. Your experience in managing various aspects of a kitchen will be reflective in positive Guest satisfaction and Colleague engagement results.
Just east of the Pacific and slightly north of Expectation.
Welcome to Fairmont Grand Del Mar. An elegant tribute to classic Mediterranean estate, seamlessly fusing old-world charm with modern luxury. Here, an award-winning, Renaissance-inspired spa, critically acclaimed dining, exclusive boutique shopping and championship golf course.
Growth and advancement is not only available, it is actively encouraged. We promote a balanced life for our colleagues, continuously seeking new ways to improve our environment and to support our beautiful home of San Diego.
Summary of Responsibilities:
· The ability to ensure the correct preparation and presentation of a consistent level for all food items prepared.
· The ability to plan and develop menus for the hotel considering factors such as product availability, service cost, marketing conditions, number to be served, etc. Establishes and maintains appropriate food portions with respect to the hotel's pricing policy.
· The ability to assign prices for food items on daily menus that result in net profit for the food cost area and participates in making decisions regarding printing, layouts, posting and distribution of menus.
· The ability to prepare and post employee work schedules to reflect operating forecasts and to keep within budgeted figures.
· The ability to prepare a daily payroll report.
· The ability to supervise all methods of food preparation and cooking methods, size of portions, garnishing and presentation of food.
· The ability to coordinate and supervise the ordering of all food supplies and kitchen equipment; approves all products to meet quality standards; keeps cost accounts; and takes responsibility of food preparation areas.
· The ability to hire, train, discipline, supervise and organize all kitchen personnel on a regular basis.
· The ability to complete and provide performance evaluations for all kitchen employees making recommendations for salary increases as warranted.
· The ability to hold regular meetings with the kitchen staff as well as attend and participate in all required meetings.
· The ability to treat employees at every level of responsibilities fairly and consistently to achieve high morale and minimum turnover.
· The ability to maintain a consistently high level of employee morale and motivation.
· The ability to coordinate with the Executive Chef, Food and Beverage Director, the Executive Assistant Manger and the Director of Catering any special functions regarding food preparation and presentation, including additional costs and staffing requirements.
· The ability to supervise the maintenance and cleanliness of all food preparation equipment.
· The ability to develop and ensure a safe working environment for people to work.
· The ability to set up control systems, which will assure quality and portion consistency.
· The ability to create proper purchasing specifications.
· The ability to monitor and review operating criteria and develop an awareness of the importance of food preparation and quality.
· The ability to monitor and review food presentations and make recommendations for needed changes.
· The ability to communicate with the Executive Chef on a regular basis the activities and result of the kitchen.
· The ability to supervise in coordination with the Executive Steward all assigned duties of the stewarding department
· The ability to monitor the employee cafeteria to ensure a quality product and a variety of menu items.
· The ability to communicate with the purchasing department to ensure a top quality and fair price.
· The ability to respond properly in any hotel emergency or safety situation.
The ability to perform other tasks or projects as assigned by hotel management and staff.
· Reading, writing and oral proficiency in the English language
· Very advanced courses or experience in the administration side of the kitchen.
· Twelve to fifteen years’ experience in kitchen covering all aspects of cooking.
· Must possess a high level of creativity and high quality standards.
· Very strong leader, communicator and trainer.
Physical Aspects of Position (include but are not limited to):
· Exposure to extreme temperatures
· Prolonged periods of standing and/or walking
· Able to carry up to 50lbs
Visa Requirements: Must be eligible to work in U.S.
APPLY TODAY: Whether you’re launching your career or seeking meaningful employment, we invite you to visit http://www.fairmontcareers.com/ to learn more about Fairmont Hotels & Resorts—and the extraordinary opportunities that exist!
ABOUT FAIRMONT HOTELS & RESORTS
At Fairmont Hotels & Resorts we offer our guests the finest hospitality experience in each of our destinations. And we know that, to offer our guests the best, we first need to offer our employees the best. That’s why you'll find exceptional work opportunities—throughout North America and the Caribbean, Europe and Africa, the Middle East and Asia Pacific—as well as industry-leading training, career development, recognition and rewards. Fairmont Hotels & Resorts is a celebrated collection of hotels that includes landmark locations like London’s The Savoy, New York’s The Plaza, and Shanghai’s Fairmont Peace Hotel. Our teams are guided by values of Respect, Integrity, Teamwork and Empowerment; we employ the highest ethical and quality standards, treating all colleagues with fairness and dignity. A community and environmental leader, Fairmont is also regarded for its responsible tourism practices and award-winning Green Partnership program. An exciting future awaits!
Management / Supervisory
Rotating / Shift Work