We are looking for a Data Scientist who is interested in solving one of the world's largest problems: financial inclusion. Our team is doing cutting-edge work in the field of Machine Learning using unique data. In short, if you are looking for a challenge and impact in your next role this is the job for you.
We are looking for a:
- Problem Solver: You thrive on finding novel solutions to hard problems. These problems may have ranged from extracting a new dataset from an unexpected source, to building cohorts for customer retention analysis, or the NY Times saturday crossword.
- Independent Learner: We encounter new problems that aren’t in textbooks. You have the ability to learn on our own about new concepts and techniques.
- Curious: You aren’t content until you understand why the features you have built have the explanatory power they do, and why they aren’t just a spurious correlation.
- Opinionated: We are looking for someone to add diversity of thought to our current ensemble of data scientists.
- Communicator and Listener: You are an expert in your field. Can you explain it to others in laymen’s terms? Can you collaborate well with our experts in growth/portfolio/customer experience? There is a large research component to the job, and this research needs to be effectively shared with the rest of the company.
- We leverage a unique, diverse, and deep data set. We have just about every sort of data you can imagine -- text, network analysis, image recognition. You’ll be surprised by what connections we’ve found between our different data sources. You will be finding these connections and communicating to the team as well as integrating them in the models.
- You will own a model, or multiple models, whether building a country-level credit model from scratch, or integrating new data sources into our existing underwriting models.
- 3+ years of experience in a data science role or equivalent position
- A Masters or PhD in a quantitative field
- Fluent in Python and packages related to machine learning
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Experience in building fraud, credit, or risk models
- Expertise in NLP, network analysis, or geospatial analysis
- Experience with maintaining data science models in a production environment
Tala is a mobile technology and data science company that is changing the way credit scoring and financial services work around the world. Tala’s smartphone app instantly evaluates customers for credit using only the data on their devices and delivers customized loans in minutes.
Tala, formerly known as InVenture, is backed by IVP, Ribbit Capital, Lowercase Capital, Data Collective, Collaborative Fund and other leading venture and impact investors. In 2016, Fast Company ranked Tala, formerly known as InVenture, as one of its top 10 companies in Money, and Forbes named Tala as one of the top 50 FinTech companies in the world. Tala is headquartered in Santa Monica with additional offices in Nairobi and Manila.
Read Full Description