Vanguard, one of the world’s largest investment management companies and a recognized employer of choice, seeks a Senior Project Manager to provide expert project management support of the Investment Management businesses (Fixed Income, Equity, Risk Management, Investment Strategy) by effectively managing project portfolios, leading global business and technology projects, and managing vendor relationships and third party products and services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees project teams and the delivery of a portfolio of investment related projects such as new fund launches and investment related technology delivery. Leads the creation of new approaches or processes with a near-term focus (1-3 years). Enhances quality and efficiency for the department without the benefit of existing guidelines.
- Defines, plans, coordinates, documents, and implements large scale project plans for complex projects that impact the Investment Management process (e.g. Front, Middle, and Back Office). Works with relevant stakeholders to determine the scope, requirements and solutions for assigned project to ensure integration with other dependent project teams. Provides guidance, training and motivation as necessary to align the crew to the particular work stream objectives within budget and timelines. Assists team with the identification, evaluation, and resolution of potential obstacles which may have an impact on completing the project.
- Maintains a strong working knowledge of Investment Management business, data, processes, products and services, organization roles and responsibilities, and technology solutions, including Portfolio Management, Trade Management and Compliance, Risk Management, and Data Management. Keeps abreast of current issues in business operations and incorporates changing business needs into project solutions.
- Works with Investment Management senior leaders to ensure that highly effective communications regarding business readiness and project status issues occur regularly to key stake holders in a variety of forums (leadership, governance committee, town halls, etc.). Clearly communicates recommendations and/or requests for information/support to an appropriately broad audience throughout Vanguard.
- Determines, identifies and collects appropriate metrics to measure the impact of the specific program/project transformation on the business. Ensures that a detailed understanding of the Project work streams is obtained. Oversees the collection and documentation of data to support identified issues, potential impacts and potential opportunities including such items as process maps and decision matrices. Provides data with analysis.
- Proactively identifies, manages, and mitigates risks of any related project issues. Performs root cause analysis, identifies potential solutions (including the cost/benefit of each option), and communicates solutions on key issues or projects to management and business clients to obtain their input and buy-in as appropriate.
- Coordinates and participates in all aspects of the project including legal and compliance issues, work flow and procedures, testing requirements, reporting, budget and benefits measurement. Ensures best practices and methodologies around project management, governance, change management, etc. are followed for the businesses. Integrates with key partners such as risk & control, relationship management, legal, audit, etc.
- Manages key technology third party products and service providers by effectively managing vendor relationships, balancing business needs with product capabilities, evaluating future state product roadmaps, and coordinating and scheduling product upgrades.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree (preferably in finance, commerce or economics) or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum of ten years business experience with a minimum of five years financial project management experience. Project Management Professional (PMP) certification highly regarded.
- Significant experience leading investment management Portfolio Management and/or Trading and Operational projects with formal project/software delivery methodologies and/or financial management systems such as Charles River OMS, Blackrock, FactSet, or Axioma.
- Strong understanding of software development methodologies, including Agile and Waterfall.
- Exposure to supporting multi-disciplinary global projects would be strongly preferred.
- Ability to navigate, persuade and build buy-in across a matrix structure and across multiple business lines/leaders in a global setting.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to motivate/inspire/lead a team. Ability to work independently, with attention to details and sensitivity to deadlines.
- Blend of operational, technical, systems and business acumen including knowledge of industry practices and systems.
- Strong negotiation skills and ability to break down organizational barriers. Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities. Ability to effectively communicate technical and nontechnical information to various levels throughout the division.
- Strong Microsoft Project and PowerPoint skills.