We are looking for an experienced design leader that is fueled by an entrepreneurial spirit to manage and grow our team of talented product and brand designers, and to help shape the future of Medium.
As the Head of Design at Medium, you will be responsible for helping craft world-class reading and writing experiences, while leading the design team. You will collaborate with the executive team to define and refine our product strategy, utilizing a combination of research, data and analytics to make the best product and brand design decisions. You have experience with consumer products and a love of media, you are passionate about creating the best possible user experience, you sweat the details, and you excel in a startup environment.
What will you do?
- Evolve and communicate the design direction for Medium, both the product and the brand.
- Grow, lead and nurture a team of product, visual and brand designers. Foster career development and growth paths for designers at Medium, while considering their individual career objectives.
- Drive quality design work and evolve Medium’s design systems and design language to adapt to new product, content and marketing challenges.
- Collaborate with engineering and product leadership to ship high quality product, while constantly working to improve our product development process.
Who are you?
- You have at least 10 years of applied UX/UI design experience and 8+ years of design leadership experience at a consumer software company or startup.
- You have proven experience leading design teams, and have delivered high quality consumer web and mobile products.
- You can articulate what quality design is, and take a data-informed approach to product development. You easily leverage in-house user research teams.
- You are comfortable collaborating with executives, engineers, product managers, data scientists and other designers to define product strategy and deliver quality products.
- You welcome the challenge of developing human-centered experiences and you thrive in ambiguity.
- You have a track record of attracting and recruiting diverse and multidisciplinary design teams.
Sound like you?
We work from the Medium offices in San Francisco and we’d love to hear from you.