In a nutshell:
IDEO’s Palo Alto studio is looking for a senior design researcher to lead research across industries such as mobility, health & wellness, consumer products and organizational change. This role is a good fit for you if you are interested in creating positive impact in the world, and you’re keen to leverage your research skills as part of a multi-disciplinary team to help envision new solutions in the world.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
IDEO focuses on the human element, seeking inspiration from the user and striving to create emotional connections that lead to compelling experiences. Design research is at the heart of IDEO’s work. Uncovering insights by spending time with people, conducting thoughtful qualitative and quantitative research, and creating deep empathy within our design teams ensures that our design work is underpinned by a strong human-centered foundation.
Once here you will:
- Have the opportunity to shape new research methods that might include ethnography, IDEO’s unique approach of integrating qualitative and quantitative research to inform design, behavioral science, artificial intelligence, virtual reality, and more
- Travel domestically and globally to explore diverse human behavior and lifestyles
- Use research findings to inspire design and strategic decisions
- Translate research insights into powerful stories that shift hearts and minds
- Degree in behavioral science, cognitive science, other social sciences, organizational behavior/industrial psychology, psychology, design, HCI, statistics or similar
- 7+ years of professional research experience in-house, at startup companies, consulting firms, or other professional services firms
- Experience leading multi-disciplinary teams
- Experience coaching other researchers
- Experience designing surveys and analyzing data (experience using SPSS and running segmentation studies is a plus)
- Experience leading qualitative research, familiarity with a variety of methodologies, and a track record of experimenting with new research approaches
- Experience with storytelling through various mediums and formats
- Experience applying research insights to create design solutions
- Experience working within a variety of industries (background in mobility, organizational change, digital products, and health & wellness is a plus)
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. Sure we work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
Some previous projects to check out:
A New Way to Vote for the People of Los Angeles
Beyond Cars: Designing Smarter Mobility
Improving Quality of Life for Young Adults with Schizophrenia
Application requirements and instructions:
- Your resume
- A cover letter
- A portfolio or sample of your work, including at least two projects, that you think are most applicable to this role. For each project, please describe the problem you were trying to solve, the methods used, 1-2 key insights from the research, and the outcome or impact on design. Please clarify the role you played in the project.
- A list of recent projects you worked on, with 1-2 lines of description for each (1 page max in total).