Hello! It’s nice to meet you. Anchor is a New York based startup aimed at democratizing audio. With the tap of a button, we enable anyone in the world to create compelling, high quality audio and instantly be heard anywhere (on our platform, in podcast players, on smart speakers, in cars, and much more coming soon). In short, we are doing very cool things, and we’d love your help to do cool things better and faster!
As an early member of Anchor’s Android team, you’ll play a critical role in helping us define the future of audio. We firmly believe that there is endless innovation just waiting to happen in the audio space. You’ll get to work alongside a cross-functional team of engineering, product, content, and community team members. This is a unique opportunity to be one of the very first hires for a consumer-facing and product-driven company that’s backed by some of the best investors in Silicon Valley and NY. This is a full-time role based in New York City.
If you want to jumpstart the process of talking to us about this role, here’s a little challenge: write a program that outputs the largest unique set of characters that can be removed from this paragraph without letting its length drop below 50.
For example: [‘H’, ‘i’, ‘!’, ‘ ’]
Responsibilities will include:
- Prototyping and building new application features of all kinds, from creation tools to listening and sharing functionality
- Writing bug-free code that runs quickly and is performant in all conditions
- Researching requirements of projects and ideas
- Implementing features based on both wireframes and completed designs
- Building logic that can interact with third party APIs and SDKs seamlessly
- Seeing large, often complex projects through from conception to launch
- Keeping code maintainable through extensive documentation and automated tests
- A sense of humor
- 3+ years of experience building Android apps
- Have one or more Android apps in Google Play that you have worked on
- Ideally some experience working with Kotlin, Retrofit 2, Realm, RxJava
- Strong understanding of both Java and standard Android APIs
- Experience writing Android layouts and styles in XML
- Familiarity with application profiling tools and ability to explain bottlenecks and issues found
- Ability to architect and develop clean, reusable code
- Excitement about challenging computer science problems, and a love for clean code
- Strong foundation in object oriented programming, data structures, and design patterns
- Familiarity with git
- Ability to try things and iterate very quickly
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Persistent/determined work ethic and a willingness to try anything and everything
- Strong interest in podcasts, radio, or audio in general
- Ability to work well with cross-functional teams
- Competitive salary, stock options, and whatever hardware, software, books, and tools you need to get your job done
- Benefits: medical/dental/vision insurance, 401k, flexible vacation policy
- A small, fast-moving team full of very nice, very smart, very creative people
If you'd like to recommend a friend for this position, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anchor FM Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate due to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status, or disability status.