As a portfolio manager of the Investment Management Team, this person conducts due diligence of investment managers and analyzes financial market and economic conditions. Emphasis on interviewing current and prospective investment managers and contributing to team recommendations based on quantitative and qualitative criteria. Has input and joint oversight of firm's recommended and restricted investments lists and due diligence for corporate accounts and managed products. Will be expected to maintain high awareness of current events and implications to financial markets.
- Due Diligence Research on all existing and potential retail and managed account investment solutions. Works with Senior Portfolio Manager on final decisions regarding asset allocation and investment selection for managed portfolios. Due Diligence emphasizes both quantitative and qualitative research in support of the investment managers selected for First Command’s portfolios. These activities include:
- Conducting in-depth conference calls or in-person meetings with fund and strategy portfolio management teams across multiple asset classes. Candidate must be willing to travel up to 25% of any given month.
- Discerning, documenting, and conveying the drivers for selected investment strategies, concentrating on identifying the pros and cons surrounding the people, philosophy, process and performance of each strategy.
- Identifying other potential risks (operational, administrative, etc.) to take into account when evaluating investment strategies.
- Portfolio Management: Performs analysis of asset class performance and valuation, and seeks to optimize portfolio given forward-looking asset class and investment manager expectations. Initiates and maintains relationships with business partners, including contract negotiation.
- Investment Policy & Product Development: Major contributor to firm’s investment policy and plays a major role in investment product decisions. Researches investment characteristics and industry trends for consideration in product development and continuous improvement.
- Reporting: Provides ongoing information for investment committees. Ability to pen white-paper style insights and economic and market commentary.
- Operational Implementation: Assists in operational implementation of investment recommendations.
- Communication, Advisor Support and Training: (Proactive focus) Helps author client letters for managed account programs and investment communications to advisors and clients. Frequently participates in training sessions and other presentations to internal and external constituents, including client seminars. May assist Senior Portfolio Manager in recurrent reporting to Chief Investment Officer, Senior and Executive Leadership Teams, Investment Oversight Committee, and First Command Board of Directors Investment Committee. Also serves as subject matter expert for internal support personnel and directly responds to advisor and client inquiries via telephone or e-mail as necessary.
- Works with Senior Portfolio Manager to help:
- Oversee and coordinate the Investment Management Team (IMT) members’ day to day activities, including allocation of time and research resources and the optimization of a team-specific budget.
- Establish and review due diligence policies and procedures.
- Support the advancement of IMT members’ investment skills and coaches members in the development of their investment career.
- Bachelor's degree required with a preferred emphasis on finance, accounting or business.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- 7+ years of investment experience, including at least 2 years as a senior investment analyst.
- CFA Charterholder required. FRM, CAIA, CFP, etc. or progress towards is a plus.
- Securities licensing requirements: FINRA Series 7, 66. FINRA Series 24 a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment.
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Delivers quality, detail-oriented analysis.
- Highly competent with Microsoft Office products, particularly in Excel (VBA coding knowledge a plus), PowerPoint, and Word.
- Familiarity with Morningstar Direct required.
- Familiarity with Bloomberg, Pershing’s NetX360 a plus.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in written form.
- Skilled presenter.
The information of this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job, which may vary on the department or the assignment. The actual essential duties, responsibilities and qualifications may vary by department, reporting structure and other business needs. No inference should be drawn that a specific job duty, responsibility or qualification is non-essential by its absence from this description.