Lead Product Quality Engineer
Magic Leap is an eclectic group of visionaries, rocket scientists, wizards, and gurus from the fields of film, robotics, visualization, software, computing, and user experience.
We are growing quickly, and this is the time to get on board and play a role in shaping the way people will be interacting with the world tomorrow.
In this role, you will have responsibility for the development and implementation of product quality management efforts to manufacture and scale one of the most innovative products in the world today. In this highly visible and highly hands-on role, you will enjoy the key decision making combined with the on-site hands-on problem solving at contract manufacturer sites that comes with owning the product quality engineering across Magic Leap products. Strong leadership, organizational, and interpersonal skills are essential to succeed in this role.
- Develop new quality tests and audits at full system level for high volume production at CM sites.
- Generate Product Quality Plan (PQP). Develop Quality Sampling methodologies at full system level.
- Establish Outgoing Quality Control (OQC) and Customer Quality Audit (CQA) processes at CM sites.
- Serve as escalation point for product quality issues through development builds, and mass production. Lead the team in critical FA/CA on Mass Production blocker issues coming from quality audits.
- Establish Quality Specifications at full system level, and Quality agreements with contract manufacturers.
- Lead new product quality improvement forum.
- Support Engineering and NPI teams during the product development period.
- Conduct periodic reviews of Field/Factory Quality Data with CM partners.
- Prepare OK-to-Ship documentation for new product launch
- Support/Attend new product development builds
- Communicate project status updates to various project stakeholders, including team members and executives within Magic Leap and contract manufacturers.
- Manage and work with design and engineering teams to map out process development exercises, secure resources, secure FA in order to improve yield and commit to schedules in line with program goals.
- Lead in process capability assessment activities for new products/processes, and provide input back into various cross-functional teams.
- Facilitating the inputs from cross-functional teams for Ok-to-Ship
- Statistical data analysis to provide risk assessment of system quality issues
- Providing design input to improve product quality
- Working closely with contract manufacturing partners to understand and resolve product quality related issues
- Managing cross-functionally with many different teams to resolve reliability escalations.
- Communicate quality updates to executives and senior management.
- Bachelor’s degree (minimum) in engineering, science or related discipline. Masters’ Degree is preferred
- Minimum 10 years of experience working in high-tech consumer electronics product quality engineering or manufacturing roles
- Evidence of commercial awareness and understanding of business context when making recommendations. International experience is required.
- Created problem solving experience is a must requirement.
- Exceptional communication skills - verbal, written and presentations.
- Ability to easily present complex situations / data and articulate effectively to executives. High level of ‘executive presence’ is required.
- Hands-on experience in developing product quality plans and quality audits,
- Hands-on experience in driving failure analysis and corrective actions and efforts.
- Thorough understanding of product development procedures, electronic manufacturing and qualification processes and experience in mechanical, optical, electrical commodities is required.
- Application of DOE (Design of Experiments), Statistical Process Control methods and theory, FMEA (Failure Modes and Effects Analysis)
- Extensive knowledge of Statistical Process Control, Advanced Quality Planning, problem solving techniques and other quality systems
- Finance/business background is a strong plus (understand cost drivers and ability to derive costs associated with managing quality)
- Dynamic and “can do” attitude individual with the desire to work with a great team and product
- This position requires up to ~50% domestic/international travel, with some trips lasting up to three weeks in duration.
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.