Gap Inc.’s mission to be the world’s favorite for American style. Our technologists are driving retail technology innovation for all Gap Inc.’s brands and delivering global, scalable, cloud-based platform solutions, using continuous integration and open source technology. Reimagining retail has never been more fun!
We are looking for a leader with a strong understanding of software development and delivery practices in a vast, multi-platform technology organization within a large specialty retail company. Deep knowledge of software architecture, infrastructure, development practices, release management and quality assurance are critical in driving the continuous delivery of high-quality products.
The Vice President (VP) of Engineering Development for Global Supply Chain (GSC) establishes the strategic direction of the GSC portfolio, as it relates to the long-range plan and further developing the Information Technology DevOps organization and leading our transformation.The incumbent will be responsible for the strategy, oversight, active management, build out/development, and implementation of all GSC applications related to Logistics, Inventory Management (MI), Business Intelligence (BI), Supply Chain, etc. This role is focused on ensuring on-time delivery of one of the largest and key initiatives within the company, i.e., Cross-Channel Logistics Optimization (CCLO) that impacts logistics and transportation flow of our entire fleet, every North America distribution center, and potentially sets the footprint for future international expansion. The VP of GSC development has broad industry experience in multiple areas of Supply Chain, e.g., Logistics, IM, etc.
Context & Accountabilities:
- Our corporate and brand technology environment is complex, with a multitude of legacy applications, both package, and custom, that represent 20+ years of history. These applications are being replaced as the company moves to one global technology platform.
- The GSC (Global Supply Chain) space involves building a robust platform that handles our transportation, distribution center strategy as well as understanding the inventory and supply chain management domains.
- This role is directly accountable for the definition, implementation, and execution of the application development and delivery strategy. To support the business growth sustainably and economically, with the goal of incrementally enhancing and improving a single, common technology platform. Including policies and procedures for application development, quality assurance, solution architecture, production support, methods, tools, quality goals, cross-campus development strategy and approach, strategy for quickly scaling the development resource pool (up and down). Efficient and economic project staffing, cross-training and knowledge retention, delivery pipeline efficiencies, frequent and iterative delivery of new features, and deployment strategies that minimize business disruption across the global stores and distribution centers.
- The VP will lead in building an engineering platform that enables us to monitor our entire eco-system allowing us to scale reliably to meet the needs of the Gap Inc. business.
- The VP will own and execute the engineering roadmap, closely collaborating with Gap Inc.'s Technology (GapTech) Architects on design and delivery from our third-party vendors, identifying what we buy, build, and retire from an applications standpoint.
- Responsible for driving the adoption of best in class, large-scale software development and delivery disciplines (quality frameworks, DevOps, Agile, continuous integration, performance, etc.). These best in class regulations will result in improved time to market, quality and customer satisfaction.
- Interact with technology staff across Development, Operations, Quality, Architecture, Infrastructure, Support, Product Management, Office of the CIO, GapTech Domains, etc.
- Additionally, this position will collaborate with clients, internal domains, industry forums and support teams to gather insight, build and influence best practices, and enable to be recognized as an industry leader in software development and delivery practices.
- Prioritize and build engineering roadmap and schedule - balancing the creation of new functionality, immediate needs of existing customers, and augmentation of architecture/infrastructure in conjunction with VP Architecture and VP Operations.
- Comprehensive understanding of the business/market and the technical implementation as to be able to speak to feasibility, lift, opportunity, etc. of company direction/pivots.
- Drive/augment engineering process with primary goals of predictability, stability, and visibility.
- Experienced at delivering Enterprise software at scale.
- Establish a culture of quality where verification/validation occur at every step.
- Develop a framework for making impactful technical decisions.
- Empower engineers to innovate while providing technical expertise/targeted questions to make a decision that is best for the business.
- Have a willingness to make educated but potentially controversial decisions should the framework yield a stalemate.
- Ensure engineering understands business direction and how individual work facilitates end goals.
- Ensure company at large understands the needs of engineering. Specify when the technical debt must be addressed or infrastructure added and the cost of doing or not doing so.
- Understand the goals of engineers and set them on a path towards achievement.
- Leverage intrinsic motivation to further both the individual and the business.
- Build and grow the organization with talented individuals.