Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to ﬁnancial services creates opportunity, PayPal (Nasdaq: PYPL) is committed to democratizing ﬁnancial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s nearly 200 million active account holders the conﬁdence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and ﬂexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom, enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies
Every day at PayPal, we are changing the way the world does business by challenging the status quo, innovating and enabling business between millions of people across the globe. What we do at PayPal has never been done before and it has a tremendous impact! We build BIG and NEW products to drive worldwide commerce. Be it the next mobile payments solution, or a high availability money movement platform, we solve problems on a scale you just can't find elsewhere. PayPal continues to push the boundaries of technology by investing in individuals who passionately believe in the potential of innovative technologies that make up a global market places
For more information on PayPal, visit https://about.paypal-corp.com. For PYPL financial information, visit https://investor.paypal-corp.com.
Senior Technical Manager
The Senior Technical Manager will directly report to and support Director of Finance Technologies in the development and execution of strategic transformation programs & initiatives, strategic engineering architecture design, resource allocation, and performance monitoring. Ideal candidate is a technologist who believes that use of technology is in its infancy and the best is yet to come. The nature of role is strategic, analytical and highly collaborative, working with team members across World and also as a liaison for Global and EMEA led projects.
The role will be charged with building a 1st class engineering team, capable of scaling and transforming the Finance automation, control and technology platforms.
Location: Preferred Location Dublin
Travel: 25% + International Travel
- Lead, develop, and grow a high performance, multi-function team of talented and passionate professionals, who are results driven to take the business forward and demonstrate superior leadership in line with the PayPal values.
- Build scalable systems, lead technical discussions, participate in code reviews, guide the team in engineering best practices. Must be able to write quality code and build secure, highly available systems. 20% of the job requires production quality coding.
- Provide technical leadership and contribute to the definition, development, integration, test, documentation, and support across multiple platforms (Unix, Python, Hadoop, SAP, Teradata).
- Establish a consistent, project management framework and development processes to deliver high quality software, in rapid iterations, for business partners in multiple geographies.
- Manage a team that designs, develops, troubleshoots and debugs software programs for databases, applications, tools, networks etc.
- Interview and hire qualified developers, striving to improve bench strength and augmenting project teams with contract staff when required
- Effectively lead teams by providing appropriate direction and developmental feedback, conducting annual reviews and participating in compensation decisions
- Eat, sleep, and breathe services. Experienced in balancing production platform stability, feature delivery, and retirement of technical debt across a broad landscape of technologies
- Establish a productive and collaborative team environment to ensure there is a strong customer focus in all activities of the function at all times
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Engineering or equivalent from a leading university and preferably with a Masters or MBA
- Post-college working experience as a developer and architect in Engineering, or Data-Mining organization. we would normally expect candidates to have gained the requisite experience after 12 years.
- Strong Teradata / Oracle SQL masters certification is required
- Substantive Linux/Unix/Python coding experience (including scripting) is required
- Substantive Hadoop experience is required
- Good SPARK experience is required
- Strong conceptual and creative problem-solving skills; ability to work with considerable ambiguity; ability to learn new and complex concepts quickly. Relentlessly resourceful and scrappy
- A great communicator, strong project management skills, and superb attention to details
- Experience leading teams in a global complex matrix organization involving multiple reporting lines
Skills & Abilities required:
- Must be results focused and highly energetic to drive the defined team and organizational goals
- Given the growth nature of this business, individual must be pragmatic and capable of working in a fast moving and entrepreneurial environment
- Must have demonstrably strong interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal), to include speaking clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations
- Analytical with superior problem solving skills over near and long-term planning horizons
- Highly detailed with a systematic approach, sense of responsibility and strong, positive customer focus
- Financial literacy to manage P&L and efficiently communicate with stakeholders
- Deliver Stand out Results – Delivers outcomes that make a significant business impact
- Execute Well – Creates clear focus, plans and priorities for teams
- Innovate – Identifies and owns significant business improvements
- Evangelize Technology: absorbs and propagates new technology
- Enable and Grow Talent – Highly effective coach, mentor and developer of people
- Lead Completely – Sets programs: delegates to and enables teams
- Navigate the Matrix – Engages across business areas; influences credibly with VPs
What we offer?
- Be a part of a dynamic entrepreneurial team shaping the payments landscape of the region
- Concrete experience with strategic thinking and on-the-ground drive and execution
- Future career opportunities with international exposure via PayPal’s network of global locations
- A supportive environment that allows our employees to thrive and learn
- An opportunity to be a part of a community voted one of the Best Workplaces in Europe
From the moment that you join our team we aspire to make your employment experience an outstanding and engaging one. We are passionate and proud of our company. It is this vigor and attitude that helps us execute well, every day. If you are enthusiastic and thrive in a collaborative and friendly environment then we invite you to learn more, explore opportunities, and discover a place for you.