Auto req ID 58767BR
Job Title Head of Tax - Filing & Reporting
Country of Work Location India
City, State (if applicable) CHENNAI
Company Description Royal Dutch Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies, operating in over 70 countries and territories and employing on average 93,000 people. We use advanced technologies and take an innovative approach to help build a sustainable energy future. Our core values of Honesty, Integrity and Respect for People define who we are and how we work.
Finance Operations plays a vital role in enabling Shell’s finance solution. In the delivery of its core processes, Finance Operations provides business insights through advanced data and process analytics. Our commitment is to collaborate with our business partners, working together to realise our collective performance goals. You will be joining a vibrant community with strong values and a supportive culture. A job in Shell Finance Operations team will give you the chance to work with people across the world, support our business clients and internal stakeholders as well as will offer the opportunity to build a lasting and meaningful career in finance.
The aim of the Shell Business Operations, Chennai is to provide the Group with operational excellence through highlighting and utilizing process improvements and functional efficiencies as well as by leveraging economies of scale. Currently, the Chennai center provides a wide range of finance, accounting and business services to Shell operating companies across several business sectors globally.
Set up in September 2007, the Chennai centre has grown rapidly. The centre is located in the RMZ Millennia Business Park, where the Shell campus is a LEED Platinum building with world class infrastructure. The business is expected to grow further over the next two years and infrastructural additions to support this have been planned.
The main focus in Chennai is on Finance Operations which supports delivery of the global Finance functional plan. There is also a ‘Downstream India’ - Customer Services Team that handles lubricant depot ordering within the country. The Shell Business Operations (SBO Team) manages the centre facilities and supports business partners’ operations on site. There is a strong focus at SBO on safety & well being of staff.
- Processes and systems Responsible for leading a team of finance professionals to ensure;
- On time delivery of accurate tax reports, returns and payments for migrated activity through effective and efficient management and operation of the direct tax compliance processes;
- Preparation, calculation, recording, and reporting tax provisions, effective direct tax rates and other management assurances including tax account balances and reconciliations in an accurate and timely manner;
- Standards/systems to comply with the Group Records Management policy are in place and followed;
- Review and monitoring of the entire end to end MDT process as well as country specific tax returns and tax accruals /provisions is carried out, to enable management assurance on the statutory compliances for the various entities in the migrated countries;
- Group accounting and reporting changes are effectively incorporated and implemented in the process;
- That appropriate federal tax basis balance sheets are maintained to support the deferred tax assets/liabilities on the financial statements;
- Tax return positions are appropriately supported with compliance memos, auditable work papers and support of the business tax advisors
- Obtaining and maintaining sufficient knowledge from the Direct Tax Compliance, Reporting, and Assurance Teams and the Tax Managers supporting them to make sound resource prioritization decisions.
- In general the delivery of the business/process responsibilities and process metrics are met and roles and responsibilities as per the management matrix framework is followed.
- Work on special projects, crossing multiple sectors and functions.
- Drive FO Standard Ways of Working
2. Effectively operate/implement/manage/organize all direct tax controls (including SOX), SOAR/processes and management controls as well as assurance systems in place, including key process requirements such as Key Assumption Schedules, Tax Manual notes etc that form a part of the process design;
- Support in managing and transition additional/new scope migrations of MDT activities;
- Effective and smooth running of the MDT operations through appropriate planning and prioritization of work engagements, managing team timelines in consultation with the relevant stakeholders and resourcing on an ongoing basis;
- Ensure correct and timely escalations of process exceptions or tolerance/variances and their resolution is in place and is followed;
- Proactive engagement in strategizing the MDT process requirements in change management and improvements in the systems/data and IT solutions and change management and implementation initiatives
Requirements Recognized professional qualification and a member of a recognized accounting or legal professional body
- CI responsibilities
Provide steer in identification, prioritization & implementation of CI project pipeline and aid in achieving the process targets and implementation of projects.
- People and stakeholder management and knowledge management
- Proactively engage and maintain strong stakeholder and business connectivity;
- Provide strong functional leadership to the MDT staff in FO involved in direct tax filing and reporting activities;
- Create, track and maintain a robust succession plan for the process
- Maintain Knowledge Management Framework, competency creation and management, continuing professional education and tax professional culture
- Manage and coach team members to create World Class People FO MDT organisation;
- Proactively engage with Business and Country tax teams to enable business knowledge sharing with the MDT team and help embed knowledge transfer into the processes as relevant;
- Empower and hold supervisors accountable for delivering on supervisor expectations
- Support continuous professional development and good practices in the FO MDT teams and
- Ensure clear roles and responsibilities are in place and segregation of duties/authorities across team is implemented.
- As a leader of community, create a culture of empowerment and accountability, enabling the community to deliver on commitments
-Deep knowledge and experience in tax law and practice of atleast one major jurisdiction and experience across multiple jurisdictions, in all areas of direct taxation would be prefereable
-Good understanding of tax end to end process and dependencies
-Strong understanding of Control Frameworks, controls in a tax environment and tax accounting under GAAP and/or IFRS
-Effective influencing skills and communicator of complex tax issues; both written and oral
-Passionate about and track record of delivery through teams including development of staff
-Experience working with complex accounting and connected applications infrastructure
(Likely profile >10 years broad experience in business taxation working for another multinational, or a professional firm
No. of Positions 2
Disclaimer Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Removal Date 20-Oct-2017