United States-California-Point Mugu
Relocation assistance may be available
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems seeks RF Engineers Level 3 or 4 to perform RF engineering for Electronic Attack programs at NAWC Point Mugu, CA.
Responsibilities include the design, development, and test of radio frequency (RF)architecture, components or products. Includes antenna design, both reflector and array systems, frequency synthesizers, transmitters and receivers. Work is reviewed for soundness of technical judgment, overall adequacy and accuracy.
Candidate would support a senior RF technical lead with the development of USMC Electronic Warfare (EW) systems. RF system development duties would include:
- Follow USMC supplied operational scenarios, architecture framework (DoDAF), and RF performance requirements for developing a new system’s RF design.
- Review the development of new system requirements (decomposed from the USMC operational requirements) in regards to RF performance.
- Assist with RF component requirement specifications, as needed.
- Research and recommend appropriate COTS or vendor developed RF components (transceivers, antennas, amplifiers, analog filters, switches, couplers, splitters, cables, etc.) for a new system based on RF performance requirements; size, weight, and power (SWAP) constraints; aircraft space limitations; existing aircraft antenna locations; etc.
- Review vendor simulations of candidate antenna performance based on aircraft location and anticipated operational use. Support the senior RF engineer with the down select of the best candidate antennas for the system under development.
- Assist the senior RF engineer with building an RF spread bench to test a new system’s candidate RF components. Evaluate candidate COTS and vendor developed RF system components using the RF spread bench. Summarize test results.
- Support the chamber testing of a new system and/or its prototype.
- Assist with the generation and documentation of new systems’ RF block diagrams.
- Assist the senior RF engineer with the development of a new system’s RF switching hardware following the down select of system RF components.
- Assist with the generation and maintenance of RF component Acceptance Test Procedures (ATPs). Conduct ATPs on RF components.
- Assist with the troubleshooting of RF system issues.
- Assist the senior RF engineer with ensuring system compliance with MIL-STD-461 (EMI) and MIL-STD-464 (EMC).
- Assist with system RF chamber testing.
- Collated required system RF data to enable an outside Navy competency to perform HERO, HERF, and HERP analyses.
- Investigate RF system safety concerns/issues.
- Assist a co-located Navy competency with RF threat technique evaluation, as needed.
- Support the use of key processes, such as the configuration management for RF system changes after the system baseline is established.
- Support test’s evaluation of system RF performance in the lab and during flight test.
- Support the senior RF engineer with program sponsor data calls for RF technical data.
This requisition may be filled at a higher grade based on qualifications listed below.
This requisition may be filled at either a level 3 or a level 4.
The basic requirements for a level 2 are a Bachelor's in related STEM degree and a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience or a Master's degree in a related STEM degree and 3 years experience.
The basic requirements for a level 4 are a Bachelor's in related STEM degree and a minimum of 9 years of relevant experience, a Master's degree in a related STEM degree and 7 years of relevant experience, or a PhD in related STEM degree and 4 years experience.
Additional qualifications for both levels are:
- US citizen with the ability to obtain a secret clearance
- Experience with RF systems
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work well in a close team environment
- Existing Secret clearance highly desirable
- Experience with RF component selection, RF system development, and RF test equipment
- Experience mitigating co-site RF interference
- Experience using mechanical and electrical drawings
- Knowledge of Electronic Warfare principles
- Familiarity with aircraft RF safety
- Familiarity with Agile Development Methodology
- Experience integrating RF systems with military aircraft
- Familiarity with referenced military standards
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.