The Associate Chemist will work on new product development (NPD) projects for both new and existing products. Some travel may be required. This position will:
• Assist in the Ink and Writing System development efforts on NPD projects from conception through production launch, while following Newell’s Product Development Process
• Require the ability to work effectively with other disciplines including Marketing, Industrial Design, Manufacturing, Quality, and Supply Chain
Business Acumen - 10%
• Identifies cost and risks at the product component level to meet defined cost targets.
• Develops the analysis of how part level decisions impact the overall business strategy to facilitate design-for-cost.
Technical Leadership - 10%
• Assists in the technical execution of projects to provide engineering support.
• Researches current relevant market place product offerings to understand competition and to aid in the generation of new product critical-to-quality features.
Problem Solving - 30%
• Assists with the implementation of existing technologies on a project level to meet project objectives.
• Uses a disciplined approach and multiple methodologies to assist in analysis and determination of preferred solutions to technical challenges.
• Compiles test results to provide data for use in solving problems.
• Collaborates with technical team members to develop optimal product test plans.
Communication - 25%
• Prepares and provides project status and risks to manager with appropriate level of detail to ensure that programs stay on schedule.
• Summarizes product test results to aid in the product development process.
• Participates in forums to encourage ideation and technical sharing to learn best practices.
• Supports cadence and techniques to contribute to efficient meetings.
Organizational Agility - 10%
• Participates in cross-functional teams to work seamlessly across disciplines as required to execute product initiatives.
Technical Mastery - 15%
• Collaborates with experienced personnel in researching current technologies to address technology gaps on a project level.
• Demonstrates an introductory understanding of manufacturing processes and technologies to produce a product.
• Recommends appropriate chemical formulations for ink development to ensure robust designs are met.
• Recommends appropriate materials for writing systems development to ensure robust designs are met.
• 0-2 years in related field required
• Demonstrates knowledge of problem solving techniques and methodologies
• Demonstrates basic understanding of applicable manufacturing processing
• Demonstrates strong interpersonal and project management skills
• Demonstrates excellent communication skills-verbal and written
• Demonstrates ability to perform in a team environment
• Demonstrates knowledge of working in a lab environment
• Significant Travel – several month long stay in the United States will be required as part of the initial training and orientation.
Newell Brands (NYSE: NWL) is a leading global consumer goods company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands, including Paper Mate, Sharpie, Dymo, EXPO, Parker, Elmers, Coleman, Jostens, Marmot, Rawlings, Oster, Sunbeam, FoodSaver, Mr. Coffee, Rubbermaid Commercial Products, Graco, Baby Jogger, NUK, Calphalon, Rubbermaid, Contigo, First Alert, Waddington and Yankee Candle. For hundreds of millions of consumers, Newell Brands makes life better every day, where they live, learn, work and play.