Director of Engineering
The Business EntityThe Core Software Group (CSG) has the charter for all Platform Independent and Platform Dependent software development across Switching (for data center, campus core and campus access), wireless, network services, routing, optical software and Enterprise routing and cable access. CSG is creating unprecedented customer value by providing cohesive and innovative software, platforms and solutions for Cisco's core networking customers.
You will work directly with senior executives, architects and a cohesive group of high performing - platform, big data and analytics, UI/UX and QA engineers. You will engage with multiple teams across the Engineering, IT and Support orgs at senior levels on an ongoing basis.
* You will have direct responsibility for leading and managing a team of high functioning, technical experts in a virtualized environment.
* Be hands-on and write code, as needed and also build prototype reference architectures
* You will define detail engineering plans, scrum plans and execute on it
* Research on trending and potential future technologies and bring them together to advance the DNA Platform
* Bring thought leadership and direction to the team in picking the correct tool technology
* Translate high level requirements to actionable tasks / deliverables
* Build and scale a very large-scale platform that enables reliable, trustworthy data platform to thousands of big name customers
The ideal candidate must enjoy working in a fast-paced dynamic environment with a “take-charge” / “can-do” attitude and is able to demonstrate flexibility and resilience. Work with geographically distributed teams across different time zones. As a key engineering leader, tag along core group of engineers, senior leadership, product management and customers to deliver cutting edge systems and platforms. You will manage teams that design, architect, develop and deploy one of the largest and most complex platforms and solve one of the most challenging integration and scaling requirements that is deployed on the cloud as well as on-prem.
* Bachelor's degree (Master’s a Plus) in engineering/computer science with an overall work experience of 15+ years with considerable software and platform architecting skills.
* Must have managed teams of 10-15 members in a geographically diverse environment
* Solid understanding of very large scale, high performance, real-time, cloud agnostic platforms and solutions engineering
* Distinguish pros and cons of competing technology stacks and clearly articulate and recommend best suited solutions.
* Exposure to Reactive Programming methodology (prior experience in AKKA a big plus)
* Exposure to distributed computing, all things Big Data, real-time / stream data processing
* Prior demonstrable high skills in Java, good exposure in Scala, Python, AWS / Azure / Google Cloud
* Experience delivering multi-tenant system design, PaaS and IaaS, API Gateways, integrations and workflows
* Strong verbal and written / documentation / presentation skills
* Product engineering experience
* Be highly flexible and adaptable and demonstrate passion for platform development
Why CiscoIntent-based networking is the difference between a network that needs continuous attention and one that simply understands what you need and makes it happen. It’s the difference between doing thousands of tasks manually and having an automated system that helps you focus on business goals. Cisco DNA is the open, software-driven platform that turns that vision into reality. Virtualization, automation, analytics, and cloud, all in one architecture.Cisco is once again pioneering the next age in networking. Today, we are building teams that are expanding our technology solutions in the mobile, cloud, security, IT, and big data spaces, including software and consulting services. As Cisco delivers the network that powers the Internet, we are connecting the unconnected. Imagine creating unprecedented disruption. Your revolutionary ideas will impact everything from retail, healthcare, and entertainment, to public and private sectors, and far beyond. Collaborate with like-minded innovators in a fun and flexible culture that has earned Cisco global recognition as a Great Place To Work. With roughly 10 billion connected things in the world now and over 50 billion estimated in the future, your career has exponential possibilities at Cisco.*