Job Description Summary
BD, a leading global medical technology company that makes and sells medical devices, instrumented systems and reagents, is dedicated to improving people's health throughout the world. The Company has been instrumental in combating many of the world's most pressing diseases. Founded in 1897 and headquartered in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, BD employs nearly 50,000 associates in approximately 50 countries throughout the world. The Company serves healthcare institutions, life science researchers, clinical laboratories, industry and the general public. BD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
This role is in BD Diabetes Care (BDDC) which is one of the fastest growing and most patient-connected units with the company. The BDDC business unit has a 92 year history within BD and is unique in that it focuses on one important disease state which is a threat to world health. The Diabetes Care (DC) business unit is comprised of approximately 1,850 associates globally. The growth strategy includes strengthening our leadership position in diabetes drug delivery devices, entering targeted adjacencies to satisfy significant unmet needs, developing and commercializing transformation products designed to eradicate the complications associated with diabetes. The DC business unit is committed to easing the burden and making health care affordable for people living with diabetes worldwide.
Within the Diabetes Care business, you will have the opportunity to play a vital role in the Advanced Diabetes Care platform, make a key impact in the Diabetes Care market and be a key contributor to BD's future growth. You will also have the advantage of combining the best of both worlds; the agility and creativity of a start-up environment, and the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. We are looking for highly innovative, passionate, and talented individuals to develop these innovative products. If you're interested in being a part of developing and commercializing exciting, revolutionary products for the Diabetes Care market, and with the goal of improving the lives of people with Diabetes, please read on.
This candidate will manage and lead safety-critical embedded software development for the upcoming infusion platform. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing design, development, and integration of the software. The candidate will have demonstrated successful skills in architecture, design, development, project planning, management, and documentation to ensure compliance to strict design and release policies and procedures. The candidate will drive technical design reviews and will interface with other functional areas, such as system, hardware, mechanical, quality, regulatory, etc., to ensure successful implementation of intended designs.
- Attract, develop and retain the best talent to ensure the highest standard of excellence in industry research and development resulting in accelerated delivery of meaningful innovations to patients globally.
- Provide management for direct reports, creating a culture of Accountability, Customer Focus, Teamwork, and Execution.
- Scheduling, planning, performance reviews, developing staff and working closely with offshore engineers and assign tasks and track status to meet project goals.
- Collaborate with peer leaders in product development as well as technology development efforts.
- Lead the related software development activities to achieve project milestones and goals.
- Fully responsible for all aspect of software architecture, design and development activities and deliverables for the next generation drug delivery devices following BD’s SW lifecycle.
- Debug and resolve issues and lead software integration efforts as necessary.
- Work closely with hardware, mechanical, quality, regulatory, and manufacturing teams to conduct research, draft proposals, and design software tools to improve quality control procedures and manufacturing processes.
- Perform other job-related duties as needed.
- BS/MS Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum of 8 years of development experience in embedded, low power designs.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience leading SW engineers in planning, designing and testing solid designs.
- Development experience over the full product life cycle and medical device or regulated industry experience is required.
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills.
Additional and Preferred Qualifications:
- Dynamic leader with proven track record in managing ambiguity and influencing without Authority.
- People management, including direct supervision of tasks and delivering performance feedback
- Experienced with Microcontroller-based software and RTOS (MQX. MicroC OS is a plus)
- Proficiency in C programming and debugging for low power embedded micro-controller systems required. C++ is a plus.
- Working experience with embedded development tools and environments.
- Experience with TFS and/or IBM Rational Tools suite, DOORS, and RTC a plus.
- Experience with Static (Coverity) and Dynamic Tools (VectorCAST),
- Knowledge of modern best practices for professional software development including Agile development, Scrum, secure coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Working knowledge of international standards applicable to medical devices, including IEC 62304, ISO13485 and ISO14971 (IEC60601 is a plus).
Primary Work Location
USA MA - Andover