Treyarch is seeking a Senior Artist with outstanding talent to create immersive Post FX for our projects. At this studio we are using Post FX as general term that covers a wide variety of topics that can be anything from full screen effects, overlays, special VFX shader manipulation, to in game animated displays. As a Senior Artist you will rapidly iterate on prototyping effects bringing the visual designs to life in engine. Interdepartmental collaboration is critical in this role to successfully create high quality visuals that also render in real-time. The ideal candidate is self-motivated, passionate and capable of navigating within a large development team to exceed expectations. Given the responsibility crossover between some of the groups to implement Post FX, the actual specific division of artistic vs technical responsibilities will be determined based on the selected candidate’s strengths.
What you’ll be doing:
• Working with proprietary tools to set up Post Fx, while using existing 2d assets or creating new 2d assets as needed to see them through execution.
• Evaluate concepts and reference provided by Art Directors and deconstruct them into viable Post Fx.
• Manage all art assets for the Post FX pipeline.
• Actively contributes to the further development of the Post Fx Pipeline.
The skills and expertise you’ll need:
• 5 years minimum of combined experience in the visual entertainment field.
• Must have worked on at least 1 console game title, ideally a first person shooter.
• Experience adapting pre-rendered concepts to real time implementations.
• Experience with full screen effects and/or particle effects. Preferably in a real-time rendering environment.
• Strong portfolio demonstrating a breadth of visual creativity, ability to create 2d assets, and animation.
• Possesses a strong visual eye weighted towards photorealism.
• Must have a strong ability to use out of the box thinking, solve problems, and achieve the project roles in the most efficient manner.
• Understands, and has a strong appreciation of real-time rendering performance considerations.
• Must be a self-starter. Must be motivated and willing to work proactively and aggressively.
• Has a strong sense of time management and can effectively prioritize tasks based on need.
• Can comfortably multi-task across many different initiatives simultaneously.
• Strong communication and teamwork skills are a must. This role requires someone who interacts and collaborates with multi departments on a regular basis.
• Has the ability to communicate with engineers, art directors, and game designers and distill the feedback down to workable chunks.
• Must have working understandings of layers, channels, compression, and image editing
• Must have working understandings of what different image file formats are capable of, and the pro’s and cons of each with understanding of the advantages and costs of different DXT compression formats.
• Ability to analyze performance and memory implications of PostFX requests and implementations.
• Proficiency in Photoshop, After Effects/Nuke, and a 3d application like Maya/3DSMax.
• Must have basic working understandings of mip maps, normal maps, uvmaps, alpha masks, reveal masks, and blend masks.
• Must have basic working understandings of what shaders are.
• Should comfortable understand how to define shader properties like refraction, blur, warp, tinting, saturation, and aberration.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
• Must have a passion for games.
Additional skills and experience not required, but would really excite us:
• A candidate that can contribute to the concept generation of Post Fx is highly desirable. This can include generating still frames or motion comps based on task needs as well as sharing concepts with stakeholders, absorbing feedback, iterating, and following through on final in-game implementation.
• Experience with Houdini and or FumeFX to simulate fire/smoke for use in animated masks/textures.
Treyarch is an award-winning video game studio, driven by the desire to create epic gameplay experiences that are enjoyed by as many video game fans as possible. It is an approach that has helped to make the studio behind the Call of Duty: Black Ops series of games, an industry-leading developer. Call of Duty: Black Ops set an entertainment launch opening record upon its release in 2010 and continues to be one of the best-selling games of all time, according to NPD and GfK Chart-Track; Call of Duty: Black Ops II set world-wide launch day records; and the studio’s most recent Call of Duty: Black Ops III had the biggest entertainment opening weekend of 2015, and was the #1 console game globally for the calendar year. Additionally, Treyarch is the birthplace of Call of Duty’s Zombies. Treyarch is wholly owned by Activision Publishing, Inc.
To learn more about our studio, please visit us at www.treyarch.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/treyarch, and @treyarch on Twitter.