The Broad Institute is an amazing place - we apply our deep knowledge of human genetics to empower a revolution in biomedicine and accelerate the pace at which the world conquers disease. Through our partnerships with MIT, Harvard, and the Harvard teaching hospitals, we've become a worldwide hub of cutting-edge biomedical science.
The Broad was founded to explore the applications of genomic medicine, and now conducts research in infectious disease, cancer, and inherited disease along with basic research in the life sciences. This research is pushed forward through platforms, centers of technological development that provide the tools and experience necessary to conduct experiments at a massive scale.
About the position:
The research at the Broad Institute covers a wide variety of scientific areas. As a Research Associate, you will serve an integral role supporting those research efforts using a vast array of wet laboratory techniques. Regardless of your group, you will work as a part of a dynamic team, pose challenging questions, analyze results from your own experiments and others, and present research findings. We are looking for enthusiastic, self-motivated individuals who thrive in a fast-paced environment and have a strong desire to learn to contribute to these efforts.
In this position:
- You can make a difference in biomedicine -- Whether you study the biological basis of cancer or look for the genetic code behind debilitating psychiatric disease, you are laying the groundwork for future therapies that change lives.
- You will gain invaluable experience -- This unique research opportunity will give you access to the best technologies and sharpest minds that biomedical research has to offer. At The Broad, we work closely with a wide network of physicians and scientists, we pioneer and use state-of-the-art technology, and we are empowered to pursue ambitious research - it is truly an experience that is unparalleled by any other biomedical research institution. Should you choose to, you will be well prepared to pursue a graduate or medical degree or expand your responsibilities within the lab over time.
- You will be supported in your efforts to learn and grow -- Every week there are talks open to the Broad community on a variety of scientific topics, often hinging on results that have not yet been published. Many current RAs rave about the mentorship they have received from other Broadies, and the variety of social events that create a fun, collaborative environment.
We pride ourselves on being comprehensive, creative and forward-thinking not only in the way we approach our science, but also in the way we support our people. See below for some highlights of the benefits available to Broadies:
- 3 weeks vacation plus 12 paid holidays and winter closing from Christmas to New Year’s
- MBTA passes subsidized at 50%
- Tuition reimbursement up to $5,250 per calendar year
- Free FitBit and access to a Wellness portal where you can earn cash and other rewards
- Fooda, on-site lunch available for purchase from local vendors every day
- LeanBox, vending machine of fresh, healthy snacks available at subsidized price
- Free on-site yoga and boot camp once a week
- Discounts on entertainment, goods and services through Working Advantage
We are looking for candidates who have:
- Bachelor's degree expected in May or June 2018*
- Majored in any life science (including neuroscience), chemistry, bioengineering, chemical engineering or something similar
- 1-4 years of undergraduate research experience
- Exceptional organizational skills, critical thinking skills and attention to details
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interact professionally with all levels of staff and external contacts
- Ability to work independently in response to guidance and direction and as part of a team
- Ability to exercise judgment within defined practices, techniques and standard operating procedures
- Desire and willingness to learn, develop and execute new assays or lab techniques
- Interest in staying with the Broad for at least two years
The Broad Institute will not offer visa sponsorship for this opportunity.
*for openings appropriate for December 2017 graduates or more experienced candidates, please see our other RA I, II, III and Sr RA postings at www.broadinstitute.org/careers
EOE / Minorities / Females / Protected Veterans / Disabilities
EEO is The Law - click here for more information
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled