A Quora internship is not an ordinary internship. There is no busy work. Every project that our interns work on is important to the company and its goals.
Because Quora is such a data-driven company, our data scientists play a central role in the product development process by uncovering key insights from our data. As a data scientist, you'll work closely with engineers, product designers, and product managers to devise appropriate measurements and metrics, design randomized controlled experiments, build visualizations, and tackle hard, open-ended problems. You'll also develop tools and infrastructure to scale and automate the analyses that enable rapid product iteration. Quora has a wide range of rich data, giving you ample room for exploration and creativity. We use a variety of tools--primarily Python and SQL--to analyze data and communicate results with the rest of the company.
We also realize that mentorship is important to allow interns to grow and develop skills in new areas. Every intern will have a full-time data scientist as a mentor and weekly 1:1s with their managers to get feedback and ensure things are going well.
Things we look for include:
- Pursuing a B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in a scientific or quantitative field
- Excellent statistical intuition and knowledge of various analytical approaches
- Curiosity and passion for Quora
- Superb communication skills and ability to explain your analysis clearly
- Proficiency in SQL
- Familiarity with Python or similar scripting language
- Passion for learning and always improving yourself and the team around you
To give you a taste of what interns could do at Quora, here are some projects interns have worked on in the past:
- Analyze external traffic patterns over time to better understand how changes in outside products cause increases or decreases in visits to Quora
- Study the usage differences between the English and Spanish Quora products to understand how various mechanics of Quora translate across different languages
- Develop methodology and prototype features in our internal experimentation platform to identify and capture novelty effects in experiments
- Investigate the effect of how “satisfying” a question page is on user engagement and clickthrough patterns through the rest of the product
- Understand effects of positional bias on home feed ranking to identify opportunities to improve ranking and feed engagement
- Improve the accuracy of a user engagement prediction model and understand what factors are important in determining new users' long term usage.
- Build a recommender system to suggest Quora topics to a user based on provided interests
- Evaluate statistical properties of various methods used to determine significance in ratio metrics, considering coverage, power, and feasibility
- Create dashboards and perform ad-hoc analyses to monitor and understand important product metrics
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.