Alexa is the Amazon cloud service that powers Echo, the groundbreaking new Amazon device designed around your voice. Voice is the most natural user interface for interacting in the home and is quickly becoming the preferred way to seek information on any topic, at any time, from any place. Whether in the kitchen with Echo, on the couch with Fire TV, or the go with mobile, customers expect Alexa to delight them with immediate and accurate answers to their questions.
The Voice User Interface Designer is responsible for leading, defining, and driving spoken language and multi-modal interfaces for the Alexa Information Experience. Your main responsibility will be to design the voice user interfaces (flow, interaction, conversation, language prompts) for individual content areas such as weather, traffic, local, movies, arts, living, business, education, and sports as well as help set a vision for information as a whole, looking across content areas and helping the user seamlessly converse with Alexa on their information journey.
You must be an innovator, since you will be expected to create solutions for exciting and ambitious ideas for which no interaction paradigm currently exists. You must be extremely proactive, because you will regularly find yourself in uncharted territory where the key to your success will be to get ahead of the curve. You must be a collaborator, and will be working side-by-side with engineers to bring your designs to life. You must be a pragmatic visionary who can translate business needs into a lead-edge customer-focused solution. And most important, you must excel at conceptualizing spoken and multi-modal experiences in the abstract and driving that vision into solid design deliverables. Additionally, you should be passionate about helping us push the envelope in automatic speech recognition (ASR), natural language understanding (NLU), and audio signal processing in order to provide the best possible experience for our customers.
We are looking for a designer who can:
- Produce language prompts, user flows, wireframes, prototypes, and rigorous user interface specifications
- Confidently defend design rationale used to create solutions in frequent executive-level design reviews
- Draw on depth of experience, but initiate UX research and testing efforts when necessary
- Conduct analyses of real usage data to inform UX optimization efforts
- Drive root cause analyses to respond to UX performance issues
- Speak authoritatively on concepts of spoken interaction design in daily iterations with product managers, engineers, and testers
- Start simple while not losing sight of the long-term vision
- Thrive in a nimble, start-up like environment
- Communicate clearly and think quickly