Under Armour is the chosen brand of this generation of athletes... and the athletes of tomorrow. We're about performance - in training and on game day, in blistering heat and bitter cold. Whatever the conditions, whatever the sport, Under Armour delivers the advantage athletes have come to demand.
That demand has created an environment of growth. An environment where building a great team is vital. An environment where doing whatever it takes is the baseline and going above and beyond to protect the Brand is commonplace.
The world's hungriest athletes live by a code, a pledge to themselves and everyone else: Protect This House... I Will. Our goal is to Build A Great Team! Will YOU…Protect This House?!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manage product category from design concept to production garment
- May manage other technical designers/product developers in building technical packages including Bill of Materials, specs, pattern blocks, construction, etc.
- May be responsible for training and monitoring performance of direct reports
- Participate in establishing category standards for fit, construction and quality
- Directly responsible for running fit sessions on live models then making fit changes via pattern corrections
- Responsible for establishing pattern blocks for the category and maintaining a pattern library
- Responsible for daily communication with overseas vendors
- Responsible for daily and seasonal tracking of prototype samples
- Accountable for meeting development calendar dates and start of production timelines
- Ability to work effectively cross-functionally; Must be able to effectively problem solve design, costing, quality and delivery issues
- Domestic and overseas travel as necessary
- May have Associate and Assistant Technical Designer direct report.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical - Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Design - Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Project Management - Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities
- Technical Skills - Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Customer Service
- Interpersonal Skills
- Oral Communication - Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Visionary Leadership
- Change Management - Develops workable implementation plans; Communicates changes effectively; Builds commitment and overcomes resistance; Prepares and supports those affected by change; Monitors transition and evaluates results.
- Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Managing People
- Quality Management - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Business Acumen - Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a 4 year Fashion Design program
- Minimum 3 years relative industry experience
- Experience working with wovens and cut & sew knits
- Patternmaking skills (must have on the job experience, not classes/theory only)
- Experience fitting on live models, including size sets; Ability to recommend changes in grading
- Knowledge of garment construction
- Expertise building Development & Production Tech Packs
- Proficient in Adobe Illustrator
- Proficient in a PDM/PLM system
- Factory travel is a plus
- Optitex/Gerber Accumark experience is a plus
- Must have managed a product line
- Leadership experience including direct reports is a plus
- Must have superior written and verbal communication skills. Must be able to lead product presentations in a clear, concise, engaging manner.
At Under Armour, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Under Armour believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a global company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.