Job Title: Sr.Director, CoC Software Platform
Manager: SVP, R&D
Function: Global Head for CoC Software Platform for Harman Connected Car Group
Department: CoC Software Platform
Division: Harman Connected Car Division
- Driving the Software Strategy and deliver Platforms and best practices across Connected Car division. The Lead will deliver Software solutions and services across HCC and HCS. Software solutions or software product lines will be focused on creating a Platform Software Foundation that spans across all of Harman’s Product lines – Infotainment; Cockpit Solutions; Instrument Cluster; Telematics and HAD (Autonomous Drive systems)
- Manage and maintain a roadmap of Software Product Lines with focus on Kernel/BSP (QNX, Linux, AutoSAR, Android, others); Vehicle Network interface (AVB, CAN, etc); Infrastructure components (Frameworks; Tracing; Automation tooling; etc); Middleware (Persistency; Software Download; etc); Audio and Media management.
- Manage a global team across the lifecycle of a Software product – Requirements; Design; Development; Unit testing; integration and release management. Special focus on Build and Test automation; System profiling and analysis tools; Architecture design.
- Maintain a process-oriented culture (ASPICE 3) within the organization
- Participate in overall business planning, contributing his current knowledge and future vision of how technology and systems will enable business strategy, growh and competitive positioning. The CoC Software lead will propose projects derived from these regular planning sessions and align with the Platform leaders for their approval.
- Talent Management Be at the forefront of the technology curve and build up organization competencies within the group to address the new areas
- Portfolio Management - He/She will need to assess make or buy decisions in his field of expertise and have the ability to integrate acquired technologies into the Harman portfolio.
- Develop Lasting and Winning Relationships – Understand the unique nature of the diverse Harman Connected car businesses and how each segment operates.
- Successfully Launching Products in the Market – Assess and prioritize all emerging technologies and innovations that Harman needs to invest in so that it can remain ahead of its competitors, and its clients. Develop a cohesive plan for technology development and deployment that incorporates the specific needs of each of the individual businesses.
- Living the Product Lifecycle – Understanding all aspects of product lifecycle from cradle to grave, ensuring the program milestones happen on time, technologies launch successfully and software evolution strategies are in place to maximize ROI.
- Leading a Team – Build and develop a strong global team of software and system specialists, responsive to the needs of our businesses. Ability to attract, retain and motivate best in class talent. Promotes and develops top talent, move or change incorrect talent when needed.
- Financial and Commercial Acumen – The individual must have demonstrated an ability to think beyond the technology itself and will understand key business drivers that ensure technology investment will provide substantial value or improvements to customers.
- Working as a Team Player – The successful individual will have deep and broad experience leading and managing a team and collaborate with business owners and technology peers. He/She will be able to effectively communicate, motivate, coach and develop technical excellence. Establish credibility throughout the organization and with Corporate Executive Management as an effective developer of solutions to business challenges. Participate in the development of the Global Connected Car plans and programs as a strategic partner.
- Manage a global team of highly competent, senior Software professionals of 300+.
- Reporting line direct to SVP, R&D – Harman Connected Car Division
An experienced leader with expert knowledge in software development in the consumer and/or automotive industries. An energetic, forward-thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards and an appropriate professional image. A well-organized and self-directed individual who is “politically savvy” and a team player. An intelligent and articulate individual who can relate to people at all levels of an organization and possesses excellent communication skills. A good educator who is trustworthy and willing to share information and serve as a mentor
Software Development – experienced in driving and leading software predevelopment and core development, understanding the needs of program and product execution – technical capability to guide strategically and manage resources
Business Acumen - Business acumen, to gauge not just what can be done but to know what can be profitable, is a key requirement for this role. The ability to manage near-term R&D costs/risks with long-term product commercialization is a critical requirement for this position.
Communication Skills - While it is required this person to be technically skilled, he/she must also be able to communicate effectively with customers and constituents outside the engineering organization. This person must have the ability to promote and explain technology initiatives to business leaders outside of the technology organization and to external partners and customers.
Organizational Leadership - This person should have led a significant part of a technology team. He/She must bring strong people leadership experience up to and including senior technologists.
Strategy - This person must be a strategic technology leader; that is, he/she must combine a solid technical foundation with forward-looking strategic skills to effectively develop a software strategy to enable Harman to capitalize on emerging technologies including emerging technology trends outside of Harman’s core domain.
Preferred Qualifications & Desired Competencies:
- Relevant education in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related field.
- R&D Portfolio management
- 10+ years of object-oriented software development experience.
- 10+ years managing software projects, including development and testing.
- Strong experience in software development and agile software process.
- Track record of managing large, complex software projects with multiple stakeholders.
- Excellent teaming skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels within organization, internally and externally.
- Experience managing external partners.
- Problem solving, organizational and analytical skills.
- Excellent written & verbal communication.
HARMAN (harman.com) designs and engineers connected products and solutions for automakers, consumers, and enterprises worldwide, including connected car systems, audio and visual products, enterprise automation solutions; and services supporting the Internet of Things. With leading brands including AKG®, Harman Kardon®, Infinity®, JBL®, Lexicon®, Mark Levinson® and Revel®, HARMAN is admired by audiophiles, musicians and the entertainment venues where they perform around the world. More than 25 million automobiles on the road today are equipped with HARMAN audio and connected car systems. Our software services power billions of mobile devices and systems that are connected, integrated and secure across all platforms, from work and home to car and mobile. HARMAN has a workforce of approximately 30,000 people across the Americas, Europe, and Asia. In March 2017, HARMAN became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Samsung Electronics. HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. Looking for a challenge where your experience is valued? Come see what you can achieve as a leader with HARMAN! (www.harman.com)
Developer, Manager, Engineer, Electrical, Computer Science, Management, Technology, Engineering