A Career at HARMAN
We are ONE HARMAN. We are greater than the sum of our divisions or brands. We proudly talk about our many iconic brands and describe how our technologies are transforming the car, the workplace and everywhere in between. We work hard. We create useful, playful, beautiful things. We strive for excellence and we aim to win as a team. No matter the position, every employee at HARMAN is expected to demonstrate our core competencies: leadership, change-orientation, collaboration, judgment and a results-driven mindset. At HARMAN, we expect brilliance. You can expect a career full of brilliant possibilities.
This position is for a principal DSP architect within the Lifestyle automotive audio division. The team develops OEM automotive amplifiers and other similar digital audio systems. The architect is responsible for developing complex DSP software features, creating architectures to suit multiple needs and representing the DSP team with internal and external customers.
This position does not have any direct or indirect reports.
- Define project scopes by analyzing requirements relative to technology development initiatives and influence product roadmaps accordingly.
- Design optimum DSP features and systems given requirements, use-cases, technical feasibility and available resources.
- Make and defend low-level design choices based on analysis of device capabilities, platform components, software architecture, framework details, configuration options and other project specifics.
- Implement DSP algorithms for automotive audio systems using C/C++ within complex, multi-threaded, multi-processor DSP architectures and audio frameworks.
- Identify improvement opportunities and lead efforts to port, optimize, modify, fix, and extend existing code as necessary.
- Engineer convincing demos and manage small projects.
- Review test plans and vectors to guarantee full verification of systems and components.
- Lead the team in root-cause analysis of audio defects. Negotiate resolution.
- Delegate software tasks. Provide status updates. Act as a mentor and influencer.
- Establish and coordinate activities with internal teams, customers and suppliers
- Identify business opportunities, take ownership and deliver innovative solutions
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer science, or equivalent
- 10+ years of embedded software development
- Proven leadership in areas of software architecture and frameworks
- In depth knowledge of embedded real-time operating systems
- Track record of innovation in DSP and audio systems
- Experience using MATLAB and Simulink
- Experience with VST plugins and hosts
- Experience with tuning complex systems
- Capable project and time management skills
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills
- Experience as a Field Applications Engineer, or equivalent
- Experience developing consumer, automotive or military products
- Having a proactive, goal oriented approach to decision making.
- Clear and strategic thinker; proven experience in translating strategies into actionable plans
- Capable of handling multiples projects / initiatives simultaneously and executing to completion
- Having respect for colleagues; leading teams with clarity and accountability.
- Proven team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills who can effectively work with all levels of a global matrixed organization
- Able to adapt to changing demands and conditions.
- Act as a Change Management expert and enabler on various projects and programs across the business
- Providing exceptional service and quality to external and internal customer.
- Understanding and working in past organizations that have centralized and de-centralized structures as business requirements change
- Accepting responsibility for personal development and actions.
- Have clear objectives and strives to exceed them
- Takes ownership for personal career and skill development
- Willingness to travel 25% of the time
- Willingness to work in an office in Novi, MI.
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
HARMAN (harman.com) designs and engineers connected products and solutions for automakers, consumers, and enterprises worldwide, including connected car systems, audio and visual products, enterprise automation solutions; and services supporting the Internet of Things. With leading brands including AKG®, Harman Kardon®, Infinity®, JBL®, Lexicon®, Mark Levinson® and Revel®, HARMAN is admired by audiophiles, musicians and the entertainment venues where they perform around the world. More than 25 million automobiles on the road today are equipped with HARMAN audio and connected car systems. Our software services power billions of mobile devices and systems that are connected, integrated and secure across all platforms, from work and home to car and mobile. HARMAN has a workforce of approximately 30,000 people across the Americas, Europe, and Asia. In March 2017, HARMAN became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Samsung Electronics. HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. Looking for a challenge where your experience is valued? Come see what you can achieve as a leader with HARMAN! (www.harman.com)
Nearest Major Market: Detroit
Architecture, Engineer, Electrical, Embedded, Computer Science, Engineering, Technology