The Sequencing Applications Sales Specialist will use their technical knowledge to drive increased sequencing consumables and library preparation reagent usage, largely by reducing customer ramp times and assisting new customers in the design and implementation of new workflows. The Specialist will also help to accelerate sequencing system sales and build a community of satisfied customers. Both pre- and post- sales activities will be carried out to increase awareness of the platform, and familiarize customers with associated applications and workflows.
All About You
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Develops high value customer accounts through the sale of sequencing products and services.
- Spends a large proportion of their time in the field developing customer relationships.
- Pre-sales activity will include delivery of technical expertise during the sales process including consultation on applications and assay design.
- Deliver regular presentations on sequencing platforms, applications and/or workflow.
- Working with customers post instrument installation and initial training by FAS to provide additional lab and informatics training on library preparation and workflows.
- Supporting and training customers on assay design and the use of DesignStudio to accelerate adoption of targeted sequencing.
- Conducting post-installation reviews with customers within 1 month of installation to define whether any further assistance is required.
- Monitoring consumables and library preparation usage rates across sequencing install base and implementing corrective action at sites where usage is low.
- Attendance at tradeshows/conferences.
- Organisation and execution of User Group Meetings and seminars in collaboration with field marketing and CS.
- Assisting sales and field marketing on new strategic initiatives requiring both technical and market knowledge.
- Providing strategic and competitive feedback to field marketing.
- Working collaboratively with sales, service and support to ensure effective account/customer management and communication through pre-sales – installation – post-sales cycle.
- Escalation of technical issues to Technical Support for resolution.
- Developing and maintaining positive relationships with customers in assigned territory
- Assists, as time permits, with other business development activities.
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Genetics, Chemistry or Biochemistry desired. Alternatively M.S. + 5years experience
- 5-8 years biotech experience preferred
- Must be willing to travel up to 60%
- Prior field experience supporting customers in a highly technical field preferred
- Recognized deep technical expertise in sequencing
- Independently works on highly complex problems requiring analysis of multiple variables
- Uses independent judgment in developing methods, techniques or evaluation criteria for obtaining results
- Lab–based experience in sequencing library prep methods and sequencing instrumentation preferred
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication and training skills
- Demonstrated understanding of commonly-used bioinformatics tools and programs preferred
- Demonstrated superior problem solving and interpersonal skills in a customer facing environment
- Clear vision of and commitment to providing outstanding customer service
- Experience in a direct sales role desirable but not essential
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.