Position Title: Senior Manager, Graphic Design
Primary Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Reports to: Director, Graphic Design
Position Summary: The Graphic Design Senior Manager manages the creative strategy and execution for one or more brands and/or product groupings within a brand, from project initiation through asset delivery. In this role, you will lead the creative development and execution of the brand’s guidelines and all related marketing materials, the visual assets management and the quality control, as well as the project coordination. The Graphic Design Senior Manager manages a team of designers, production specialists and project managers, and is responsible for attracting, developing and retaining creative design talents, internal and/or external resources. The Graphic Design Senior Manager partners with marketing and industrial design teams and domain peers to build a creative center of excellence within Newell Brands.
About Newell Brands: The future of Newell Brands and the on-going success of its consumer and commercial products depends on a continual stream of design excellence, collaborative ideation, and resulting innovation.
Newell Brands is focused on building an innovation engine driven by our design and development vision within Newell Brands. The Design and Ideation teams have built strong partnerships with Marketing, Consumer Insights, and Research & Development in support of our efforts. As we move forward, our goal is to continue to grow and mature the design teams to a deep commercial capability and consumer sensitivity while at the same time leveraging our talents and knowledge to respond to design based needs worldwide.
We believe that innovation comes from the minds of all Newell Brands employees as well as our customers and consumers. To that end, we actively stimulate collaboration, visualize opportunity and help propose product concepts that are offered up via both formal and informal methodologies throughout the company. The Design team acts as ideation agents, continually driving to our goal of encouraging the development of better ideas and processes for growth.
Our world class design teams are located in three primary state of the art hubs that include Kalamazoo, Michigan; Chicago, Illinois; and Hoboken, New Jersey. These creative centers have been carefully planned to foster creativity and maximize the sharing of ideas and technologies among the company’s brands and process partners. Due to our continued growth, the Design and Ideation group at Newell is seeking talented individuals who want to join our team and help lead us into the future. To learn more about the Design team at Newell Brands please visit Design and Ideation - Newell Brands
There’s never been a more exciting time to join Newell Brands!
- Works collaboratively with brand and channel teams to understand the marketing projects and campaigns.
- Evaluates the content of creative briefs as needed, based on complexity and strategic level of project or campaign.
- Shares creative brief content with the Manager, Graphic Design and recommends translation of the strategy and needs assessment information into visual execution plans.
- Partners with the Director, Graphic Design in RFP and agency selection and partnership agreement development.
- Supports the Director, Graphic Design in developing an effective brand visual identity.
- Sets the overall tone and strategy of the projects.
- Leads the development of the brand style guide including logo, product branding (online/offline), typography, packaging, photography, illustration, multimedia, video, and activation materials.
- Leads brainstorming sessions to generate creative ideas and fosters an environment conducive to best-in-class creative development.
- Presents creative directions with rationale to marketing teams.
- Guides the creative design team to translate the brand visual identity guidelines into concrete creative solutions.
- Manages the Manager, Graphic Design, and other departmental positions to produce highly effective creative executions including: brand identity, packaging, POP, promotions, print/web advertising, web design, direct mail, collateral, video, and events.
- Oversees project management teams to ensure they are partnering with business segment teams to build project timelines for all projects and ensure segment strategic objectives are met and achieve annual financial objectives
- assigns employees clearly defined projects and tasks, and coaches and develops their skills. Completes My Action Plan (MAP) process for self and approves all direct reports MAPs.
- Collaborates with creative design peers to share best practices and foster inspiration.
- Uses appropriate decision-making and approval processes in a timely manner.
- Agrees to a clear statement of work or project scope and compensation for all creative agencies / external resources before beginning work.
- Participates in and helps organize recruiting events.
- University Degree or College Diploma in graphic design, art or related field. Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- At least 10 years of experience in a creative/graphic design position
- At least 3 years of management experience.
- Experience leading the creative development and related executions for a brand.
- Highly detail-oriented.
- Passionate about design and knowledgeable about the industry, trends, and marketplace.
- Exceptional written, verbal and visual communication skills.
- Exceptional presentation skills.
- Pragmatic with excellent problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to:
- Demonstrate passion for a brand and infuse other people with that passion.
- Drive consensus, foster creative collaboration.
- Lead and develop meetings and brainstorming sessions.
- Work directly with both internal and external partners in a fast-paced, high-volume environment.
- Strong time management skills. Demonstrates a high degree of flexibility within tight deadlines.
- Excellent business acumen.
- Communication Design: Ability to take a brief from business partners and translate it into a proficient set of graphic proposals leveraging the right approach to visual communications. Demonstrates ability to present to business partners the appropriateness of a given set of design solutions.
- Typography and Letterforms: Highly versed in sizing, kerning, leading. Chooses compatible font pairings for unique aesthetic effects. Deep knowledge of standard and contemporary type families, histories and foundries. Able to manipulate letterforms to achieve a intended design outcome. Can modify type so as not to compromise the integrity of the base letterform. Ability to use type as visual illustration.
- Digital Tools: Mastery in programs for advanced design development and program applications/efficiencies. Utilize multiple programs and digital tools for rigorous design exploration and concept development.
- Design Architecture: Develops frameworks for information as part of design process. Supports story/message through design architecture. Establishes visual hierarchies to define different types of content.
- Narrative Sketching: Ability to develop multiple visual concepts for initial design exploration that includes a wide variety of cross functional inputs. Adept at basic storytelling and visual translation of story into cohesive graphic strategy.
- Art Direction: Ability to direct creative projects on a broad scale. Deep in a detailed understanding of all design components required. Implementation of the best design tools and practices to reflect required brand targets. Demonstrates mastery in design architecture deployment. Deep expertise in experience design development, photography, illustration, production. Leadership: achieve bold outcomes with clear vision, direction, planning and management. Practitioner and Thought Leadership around design techniques, trends and package innovation. Current on market context, design trends, technology and art.
- Color Theory: Capability of recommending color families based of brand intent. Capability of developing graphic solutions leveraging color as a primary component. Applies color appropriately within existing color systems. Follows color trends annually. Capable of reading color issues and knowing how to appropriately adjust.
- Visual Interaction: Communicates effectively with visuals and type. Experienced in art direction to develop assets. Employs production techniques and materials to create impactful designs. Understands production and designs for best results.
- Fundamentals of Illustration: A deep understanding for illustrative mediums and how they are developed.
- Package Design: Develops and follows brand standards and guidelines for proper application. Explores and tests new techniques, materials, processes. Familiarizes themselves with aisle/store environment to designs for most impact. Follows legal and customer requirements.
QualificationsNewell Brands (NYSE: NWL) is a leading global consumer goods company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands, including Paper Mate, Sharpie, Dymo, EXPO, Parker, Elmers, Coleman, Jostens, Marmot, Rawlings, Oster, Sunbeam, FoodSaver, Mr. Coffee, Rubbermaid Commercial Products, Graco, Baby Jogger, NUK, Calphalon, Rubbermaid, Contigo, First Alert, Waddington and Yankee Candle. For hundreds of millions of consumers, Newell Brands makes life better every day, where they live, learn, work and play.
Newell Brands and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and comply with applicable employment laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled are encouraged to apply.