The Senior Practice Manager of Service Delivery runs a Professional Services team of Practice Managers and Solutions Architects (SAs) across multiple locations. The Senior Manager is accountable for running the day to day operations of the team along with setting the strategic direction. You will be responsible for hiring, training, task assignment, and managing your team as a business. The Senior Manager owns setting the strategy and execution of account and task alignments to ensure that work is properly executed and delivered. Working with the Managers on your team you will be the escalation contact, help each team member grow in their role, and coach them as needed. You will build relationships with Leadership across Akamai’s Services, Support, Sales, Products, and many other teams in order to effectively drive team, division, and Akamai business goals.
The role is a combination of managing managers, individuals, strategic initiatives, and leading the SAs on some of Akamai’s largest customers. As a Senior Manager you will also be part of establishing and running strategy and objectives together with the other senior leaders within Service Delivery Americas.
* Direct management of a Practice Manager – providing coaching and mentoring for a first time manager including oversight of the Practice Manager’s direct reports
* Direct management and leadership of entire team including: hiring, compensation, retention, performance management
* Planning, execution, and excellence of the delivery, integration and consultative work to the team’s customer base
* Escalation point of contact for the team, Sales, and Service teams resolving customer issues that arise during or after integrations
* Setting and managing the achievement of team goals
* Managing the team based on forecast and reporting metrics in order to identify and drive operational efficiency and process streamlining on top of ensuring that all of the team’s committed work is delivered
* Monitoring and ensuring team members meet compliance on policies and procedures such as Timesheet Completion, Project Updates, and Change Management Policy
* Build strong partnerships and an ability to negotiate across multiple business units
* Working with individuals to set personal goals and objectives and managing the execution of the objectives
* Mentoring and assisting each individual to achieve success with their goals
* Provide training to continue to develop the key skills of the team
* Create an environment that is both motivating and fosters a cohesive team
* Champion your teams achievements within the organization
* Finding new and innovative ways to improve the team along the organizations key tenets of Efficiency, Scale, and Quality
* Willing to travel 15 – 30%
About the Team
Akamai’s Service Delivery Americas team is responsible for integrating customer’s internet properties with Akamai’s Intelligent Platform. Solutions Architects are work directly with Akamai’s customers to implement Akamai solutions and provide consultative approaches to our customer’s most challenging technical problems. The team works closely with Akamai’s Solution Engineers, Technical Project Managers, and Engagement Managers while executing on projects.
Required Education and Experience
Applicants must meet one of the following education and experience requirements:
* 8 years of relevant experience and a Bachelor’s degree in CS/MIS, EE, ME, Physics or relevant technical field experience
* 6 years of relevant experience and a Master’s degree in CS/MIS, EE, ME or Physics.
* Minimum 8 years of overall experience such as customer support, web development, or professional services
* Minimum 3 years of management experience including overall control of planning, staffing, budgeting, managing expense priorities, and recommending and implementing changes to methods.
* Minimum 2 years of experience with Internet technologies including TCP/IP, HTTP, DNS and web servers.
* Minimum 1.5 years of experience in managing a manager
* Strong written and verbal communication
* Prior experience managing managers and a team of 50 people or more
* IT solution delivery experience, preferably within a consulting organization.
* Experience with running and analyzing metrics and forecast data
* Successful leadership on medium and long term projects, (6+ months)
* Experience in mentoring new hires and experienced staff members
* Proven ability to lead with informal authority
* Proven track record of hiring and retaining top-talent
* Experience implementing enterprise scale J2EE or .NET projects with direct client exposure.
* Experience with UNIX and one or more web development languages, methodologies, and/or architectures – HTTP, DNS, Perl, PHP, Shell Scripting, J2EE, .NET, C#, JSP, ASP, Tomcat, Apache.
* Experience with TCP/IP network debugging with tcpdump or similar.
* General exposure to security technologies, processes, and concepts such as PKI, SSL, firewalls, NIST 800-53, FIPS-140-2, Authentication & Authorization, Client Certificates, OCSP, etc. a plus.
* Experience delivering streaming technologies in the enterprise or B2C, including encoding, server technologies, client and server playlists/metafiles, custom media player creation, DRM a plus.
* Working knowledge of the full software development life.