The Literacy Coach (LC) will be responsible for supporting and coaching teachers, librarians, and principals in the literacy program schools to help them adopt to new ways of working with children that increase the children’s literacy skills and habit of reading. They will report to the Sr. Literacy Program Operations Officer/Literacy Program Operations Officer/Literacy Program Operations Associate and will not have any direct reports. This position is based at project location (District/Block/Mandal/ Cluster).
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop a thorough understanding of Room to Read’s Literacy program design
- Support literacy program intervention across assigned project schools and ensure adherence to the program design
- Provide reflective feedback on program design and implementation (especially with respect to progress towards outcomes) and demonstrate a solution oriented approach
- Undertake school visits every day, except for days when on official travel and leave.
- Participate and facilitate in regular teacher and librarian trainings (both centre based and school based) related to the Literacy program
- Participate in development of materials, training modules and other technical resources as required
- Regularly observe, demonstrate and coach Grade 1 and 2 teachers in delivering the instructional component of the Literacy Program.
- Regularly observe, demonstrate and coach teachers and librarians in the implementation of the library period and reading activities
- Support teachers in conducting ongoing student tracking assessments and plan corrective action
- Analyze data related to formative student assessments and use it for planning support to schools and teachers.
- Regularly provide the principals/ headmasters an update on progress and coach them on ways to support teachers and ensure longer term sustainability of literacy outcomes within the school
- Participate in literacy events, parent meeting and other community activities
- Attend review meetings at block/district/state/national level, as required, and complete all programmatic reports on a timely manner (submit them to supervisor)
- Attend school level meeting on monthly basis with school staff involved with this program.
- Serve as a technical resource to the schools in the area of language development, literacy skills and reading.
- Reports to the Literacy Program Operations Officer/Associate; dotted line reporting to Literacy Program Technical Officer/Associate
- Assist the LMF in documenting best practices and lessons learnt especially technical documentation and analysis.
- Supports the LMF in donor visits, through participation and presentation, as required
- Participate in any other activities which may be required to be undertaken to fulfill the objectives of the organization
Qualification & Experience:
- Bachelor Degree in education / social sciences or equivalent
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience in development projects, preferably in education
- Teaching experience at primary level preferred
- Strong knowledge about education in general and language and reading practices and approaches in particular
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills and a team player
- Critical thinking and analytical skills
Room to Read offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits. Benefits include thirteenth month bonus, health insurance and a retirement plan. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, and rapidly growing organization that is changing transforming the lives of millions of children in developing countries on literacy and gender equality in education.
India - Uttarakhand
To be successful at Room to Read, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be a proactive and innovative thinker who achieves results and creates positive change
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Embrace diversity and a commitment to collaboration
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Room to Read is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled