WE WANT YOUR BRAINS… PopCap Vancouver is on the hunt for bright, talented, people with a passion for making the world’s best games. What’s in it for you? A super-fun environment, rewarding work, excellent benefits, and lots of great perks. It takes big, delicious brains to make award-wining titles like Plants vs. Zombies. Are you up for the challenge?
The Role: Lead User Interface (UI) Artist
We are looking for a talented and experienced UI Artist to join the Plants vs. Zombies team at EA Vancouver!
Goal-setting and Leadership
The Lead UI Artist is the leader of the User Interface Team and is responsible for mentoring more junior artists, giving performance feedback, and structuring goals for this team to hit for each release & sprint. Building a symbiotic relationship with the Design team is necessary to help find elegant solutions to usability and interface problems. The Lead UI Artist must also work with their Engineering comrades in a tight partnership to plan needed technology & workflows and to creatively solve implementation problems.
During the pre-production phase of the project, the Lead UI Artist will work with the Art Director to explore the different stylistic options available to define an own-able and on-brand look for UI which works in conjunction with the other visual elements of the game. Once a holistic vision for the visual look of the game has been established, the Lead UI Artist will be responsible for ensuring the development of the artifacts — visual targets, documentation, style guides, etc. — that are necessary to guide the UI Designers in their production tasks. The Lead UI Artist is responsible for pushing the visual bar higher and striving for quality. That means inspiring the team, exposing the team to new tools and techniques, and keeping the UI team engaged and excited about the project.
Usability & Interface Design
The Lead UI Artist is also responsible for championing Interface Usability across the game. Familiarity with Information Design, Low-fi UI Prototyping, and Flow Design which reduces unnecessary friction is a must. This role must work with the Design Leads to incorporate UI Usability testing into our user testing plans and help to objectively interpret results from user testing.
During game production the Lead UI Artist is responsible for guiding the UI Team to design user interface for game features including:
- Gathering & Synthesizing Requirements from Multiple Domain Leads
- Defining style guidelines & ensuring visual consistency
- Designing User Flows & Transitions
- Increasing Clarity thru Information Design
- Creating Low-fi Prototypes and Wireframes
- Creating Production-ready Screen Comps
- Designing Screen Layouts to support Localization
- Typographic Design
- 2d Animation for UI
- Integrating additional external art from 3d & 2d
The Successful Candidate Will Excel At:
- Technical Skills: This role requires someone who is hands-on — so you need to have a deep understanding of current software packages common to this craft such as Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, & Visio.
- Communication: To join our team, you must demonstrate exceptional, clear, communication and problem-solving abilities.
- Leadership: You must be able to develop your own goals for your area which enable you to meet the strategic goals of the project.
- Excellence: An eye for detail, high personal standards for quality, and the ability to deliver these two attributes while committing to deadlines will help ensure your success on our team.
Desired Experience and Qualifications
• 2+ years of experience in leadership/UX direction, and 5+ years in the games industry in total (experience in related industries, like web or application design, will also be considered)
• Demonstrable previous experience in an Art Director, Presentation Director, or UX Director role on AAA game titles
• Demonstrably experienced in Graphic / Communication Design, Typography, Usability Design
• Knowledgeable and up to speed on most recent art packages including— but not limited to Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Visio.
• Experience developing UI in a content-driven game engine such as Unity, Unreal, etc.
• Ability to set goals and deliverable expectations to properly manage deadlines.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Excellent organizational skills and the ability to give feedback on all aspects of UI production
• Broad interest in aspects of visual art outside of video and computer games
• Experience fixing bugs and working with Quality Assurance.
Portfolio/Demo Reel Requirements
• UX Design Fundamentals
• Breadth of visual styles
• Graphic/Communication Design
• Color Design
• Presentation skills
We are proud of the great perks we offer like comprehensive health and benefit packages, tuition reimbursement, pension with company match and, of course, free video games. And since we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off of creativity and individuality.
We Thought You Might Also Want to Know:
More about our location: http://careers.ea.com/our-locations/burnaby-eav
Contact me: Jesenka Duranovic, Recruiter, firstname.lastname@example.org; @jesenka088