At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
This individual will participate as part of the management team of the Global Public Policy team in the development and implementation of a proactive public policy agenda tied to the company’s business priorities and core values in the Asia Pacific Region (APAC). He/she will work closely with and become a trusted counselor to TWDC’s Vice President, Global Public Policy, proactively identifying issues that are likely to have a significant impact on the company’s business and brands, developing effective strategies to address them and engaging internal and external stakeholders. He/she will be responsible for setting the strategic direction for policy development and execution on issues such as media regulation, copyright, Internet policy, privacy, consumer protection, child safety, taxation, citizenship, etc. and strategic engagement with relevant government officials and other stakeholders.
ResponsibilitiesStrategic Policy Formulation
- Identify emerging media regulation, copyright, Internet policy, privacy, consumer protection, child safety, taxation, citizenship, etc. issues across APAC related to TWDC’s mid- and long-term business plans in the region, and assist in the development of internal and external policy positions, strategies and analyses to influence the external environment, mitigate risk and advance TWDC’s business priorities.
- Translate business priorities into public policy initiatives; produce strategic plans and policy position papers necessary to advance TWDC’s policy positions and support advocacy at legislative and regulatory bodies and regional and international forums influential with policymakers.
- Collaborate with LOBs and other internal partners to ensure TWDC policy positions remain forward‑looking, coherent and consistent with business priorities; reappraise policies that have acquired their own momentum.
- Ensure ongoing alignment between public policy positions and business objectives by providing strategic input, guidance and regulatory support.
- Serve on TWDC governance councils and strategy groups that develop plans and positions relating to the most critical issues facing TWDC.
Proactive Analysis of Emerging Issues
- Support LOBs seeking to enter new markets or expand in the region by collaborating with country/regional offices to monitor and understand critical issues and identify significant issues and trends that could impact the business.
- Provide reliable, timely analysis and strategic guidance on legislative and regulatory developments at the local, national and international level, particularly where APAC governments are engaging in the development of media, Internet, data-related, telecom and kids regulations.
- Collaborate with LOBs and other internal partners on business strategies that impact public policy or require changes in public policy to be successful.
- Proactively identify opportunities that business strategies and product plans create to advance policy goals as well as emerging social, political, economic and public policy issues and trends that create business opportunities for TWDC.
- Tap a high‐caliber network of experts to help TWDC stay current on emerging issues and trends.
- Build strategic partnerships with governments, international organizations, NGOs, academic institutions and other stakeholders to enhance situation awareness, refine areas of focus, address shared challenges, and position TWDC as a thought leader on key policy issues, legislation and regulation when beneficial.
- Serve in leadership roles in industry and multi-stakeholder coalitions, working groups and membership organizations to position TWDC as a thought leader, develop policy responses in support of business priorities and promote alignment with TWDC policy goals.
- Identify opportunities where TWDC can meaningfully advance its policy agenda and recommend concrete internal and external strategies to address issues based on positions taken.
- Collaborate with government relations partners to shape legislation, influence dialogue, and establish and maintain strong relationships.
- Identify and develop opportunities to amplify and reinforce key narratives (e.g., speaking opportunities, roundtables, executive advocacy visits) and create opportunities to showcase our involvement in the local creative economy (e.g., support key local creative and arts community events, advance local educational and child safety initiatives, etc.).
- As needed, establish internal policies, procedures and guidance as part of an issues management strategy.
- 6+ years of progressive experience in public policy assessment, development and implementation roles in government, corporate or professional services settings
- Possesses a broad understanding of key global media, digital and economy policy issues, such as ICT and Internet policy, intellectual property, content regulation, corporate governance, taxation, trade, anti-corruption, human rights, and international institutions, policy frameworks and players
- Possesses a broad understanding of legal, public affairs and government relations considerations in the policy process.
- Demonstrated experience working with a range of stakeholders, for example NGOs, domestic and foreign governments, regional and international organizations, alliance partners and industry groups
- Excellent policy analysis capabilities
- Highly strategic
- Translate business priorities into public policy initiatives, and produce strategic plans necessary to advance TWDC policy positions and support external advocacy.
- Experience with and comfortable working in a truly global environment
- Able to navigate fast-paced, multicultural, multi-stakeholder contexts
- Forward-looking; able to recognize policy trends quickly and develop effective strategies to influence them
- Proficient at cultivating internal and external relationships at the highest levels; able to gain the confidence of and influence colleagues internally and externally
- Able to serve in leadership roles in industry and multi-stakeholder coalitions, working groups and membership organizations
- Results orientation
- Leadership skills and ability to influence at all levels
- Strong client service orientation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; active listener
- Business savvy; able to navigate effectively through organizations
- Collaborative approach to leadership; consensus builder
- Contribute to policy development that:
- – Support business priorities and consistently reflect the Company’s core values and competencies
– Trigger innovation
– Protect and enhance brand value
– Mitigate risks
– Differentiate TWDC within its multinational peer group
– Leverage external partnerships to overcome shared challenges
- Productive internal and external relationships
- Timely, comprehensive information, analysis and proactive solutions for pressing challenges facing the Company
- Effective issues management
- Strategic use of TWDC resources
- Experience living and working abroad a plus
- Knowledge of non-English APAC languages a plus
- J.D. or an advanced degree in related public policy or subject matter field or a combination of equivalent skills, experience and education required
At Corporate, you’ll team with the best in the business to build one of the most innovative global businesses in any industry. Uniquely positioned at the center of an exciting, multi-faceted Company, the forward-thinkers at Disney Corporate constantly pursue new ideas and technologies to help the Company’s many businesses drive value, all the while gaining something valuable from the experience themselves. Come see the most interesting Company from the most interesting point of view.
Additional InformationThis position is a legal entity of The Walt Disney Company, an equal opportunity employer.