If you like working with huge data sets--to the tune of 3.5+ TB of data flood a day--we have the job for you!
As a Backend Engineer on JW Player's Core Data team, you will join our efforts to ingest and process all the analytics data for the most popular video player on the web. You will have the opportunity to work with cutting-edge technologies like Spark, Kafka, Storm, Hadoop, Mongo, Postgres, and Luigi, to name a few.
JW Player is a learning-centered environment -- you will be encouraged to develop your passions and investigate technologies you’re interested in. The Core Data team is highly democratic; not only is your opinion valued, it’s necessary for our success!
In this role, you will:
- Build data-oriented products to provide our publishers with tools to increase engagement, as well as thoughtful analytics to help them understand how their videos are being watched.
- Crunch overall video network data to gain insight into how videos are being watched.
- Work with Data Scientists to process video data in ways that are meaningful for our publishers. This includes everything from implementing sophisticated related video recommendations to automating the classification of the videos in our network.
- Collaborate with a talented team of other engineers, data scientists, and product managers in an agile environment where you build fast, fail fast, and fix fast.
- Work with and bolster knowledge of Big Data technologies
- 3+ years relevant experience.
- Experience working with programming languages and technologies that can deal with Big Data. Knowledge of some of the following and a willingness to learn the others: Python, Java, Spark, Kafka, Hive, Hadoop/MapReduce, Storm, Avro/Parquet, Relational & Columnar databases, MongoDB/NoSql, Elasticsearch, etc.
- Experience with Test-Driven Development. Whether it's pure unit tests, integration tests, or both, you are responsible for your code working correctly. You can easily validate this with tests that can be hooked into a CI environment.
- Scale is something that excites you and you have dealt with before. When you build a data pipeline, you are confident it will work just as well in a dev environment as it will in a prod environment with 100x the amount of data.
- Comfortable working in a Cloud environment, ideally AWS. You will work closely with the DevOps team to define infrastructure and tooling to support the data engineering efforts. True collaboration comes from mutual understanding and an open sharing of ideas.
- Enjoy working with other engineers. You recognize there are multiple ways to engineer a solution and feel a code review is a chance to share knowledge, not judge others' code.
- B.S. or higher in Computer Science or comparative experience engineering experience.
About JW Player
If you've watched video on the web, you already know us. JW Player is a venture-funded, online video software company based in Manhattan. Our flagship product, the JW Player, is deployed on over 2 million websites and streams billions of videos each month. Started in 2008 as the world’s first open source video player, today the company’s customers span the globe across 193 countries and range from Fortune 500 companies to individual bloggers. We’re busy innovating for the future by actively hiring smart, motivated, and innovation-driven people! Come help us imagine and define what comes next! jwplayer.com/careers
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.