Job Description Summary
At National Geographic, we believe in the power of science, exploration, education and storytelling to change the world. The Content Discovery Specialist will play an important role in bringing this vision to life as part of our digital audience engagement organization in support of current and future digital and mobile initiatives at the Society. We create engaged and impactful relationships with our various stakeholder communities, including Explorers, Educators and Students, and Key Influencers (Foundations, Policy Makers, Donors, etc.) across website, mobile and social channels.
The Content Discovery Specialist will participate as a key member on a results-oriented and audience-focused team, working with social media/community managers and data/analytics specialists. The Specialist will use a data-driven and collaborative approach to develop and distribute owned social content that will appeal and engage the right audience on the right channels.
- Lead SEO for NGS. Includes creating and championing SEO best practices for the organization, performing keyword research, defining target keywords, identifying growth opportunities, informing our content strategy and plan, optimizing individual website pages, blogs, social profiles, etc. (20%)
- Define requirements for page/site structure and develop and execute content marketing strategies that will result in discovery of the brand’s sites and content in search engines while driving traffic to the brand’s site, blogs and social profiles (20%)
- Actively drive and execute daily SEO activities with cross functional teams
- Manage, track and report SEO and content discovery KPIs
- Ideate, plan and execute content marketing campaigns to increase traffic to the brand’s website and improve engagement with content. Inform campaigns by helping identify critical search topics and when they will resonate most (10%)
- Work with digital and engineering leadership to develop and execute in-depth plans
for structural optimization of the site
- Constantly monitor best practices and developments in the search engine landscape. Make recommendations for search engine optimization and content marketing. Use data driven approach to solve problems, set goals and break new ground with
Minimum Education Required
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Mathematics, Economics, Anthropology, Journalism or related field, Masters preferred. A range of degrees will be considered.
Minimum Years and Type of Experience
A minimum of 5 years direct and hands-on experience executing digital and/or social media channels for large brands, private or public organizations.
Knowledge and Skills Required
A proven content discovery and SEO expert, the Content Discovery Specialist will drive growth and engagement of various audience segments across a number of key programs through website, mobile, and social channels. The Content Discovery Specialist will, working within a matrixed organization, own and manage daily SEO and content discovery initiatives for the brand’s website, social impact program blogs and respective social media pages.
- Demonstrated success in an SEO role at a medium to large size media company
- Expertise in SEO, keyword research, content strategies and content marketing.
- Experience working with business owners to develop a deep understanding of customer needs.
- Exceptional skill at clear, concise, and compelling communication.
- Strong analytical background to seek data-driven rigor in decision-making.
- Ability to deliver products on time and on budget
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively with cross functional teams in product,
marketing, impact, social media and content operations groups
- Pro-active self-starter and a “can do” problem solver who thrives with hard challenges and approaches problems with
a data driven mindset
- Passionate about the search industry with deep understanding of the landscape
- Fast thinker and smart strategist who diligently tests and optimizes to achieve goals
- Proven track record working with cross-functional teams in executing SEO and
content marketing related tasks and initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with leadership and others across an organization while managing and setting expectations
- Extremely organized and detail oriented
- Experience with Google Analytics, website optimization and A/B testing tools and industry-leading SEO tools
- Deep understanding of digital marketing, publisher and media landscape
Responsibility percentages may vary depending on business needs.
National Geographic's headquarters is located in the heart of Washington, D.C. In addition to a unique and dynamic work environment, National Geographic offers its employees a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental benefits, generous vacation and leave time, a 401(k) plan, and flexible work options. National Geographic is an Equal Opportunity Employer