Senior Software Development Engineer, Data Science
TorontoWhy We Need You
At PagerDuty, we are building an alerting and incident tracking system to help IT operations groups detect and respond to issues. Startups, Fortune 500 companies, and everything in-between rely on us to alert them quickly when they have operational troubles.
We’re looking to give our customers insights into their entire response footprint, and we’re retaining an amazing team to conceptualize, design, build and deliver our vision of an autonomous, intelligent incident management framework. Our Data Experiences team is a small, talented, highly focused team. The entire team is part of the product development process from ideation to design, prototyping, planning, and execution.How You Contribute to Our Vision: Key Responsibilities
About You: Skills and Attributes
- As the Senior Engineer for the team, you will design and build data science and machine learning capabilities for our fast, scalable, and durable incident management product. You will be an integral part of the definition of our data science and machine learning backed features, and will design, develop and deliver new and exciting features for our customers.
- You will work alongside our Data Scientists, Data Engineers and Software Engineers to add intelligence to our product and take maximum advantage of modern, sophisticated machine intelligence.
- Experience building product for customers.
- Experience with Python, or Ruby, or Scala, or Go.
- Experience working with data scientists and/or machine learning engineers, but have a strong love of software development, distributed systems and programming languages.
- Enjoy the process of iterating on a product to continuously improve it.
- Think creatively about solutions.
- Solid understanding of statistical concepts and applications.
- You have sufficient experience with cloud computing services to set up and provide computing resources to the team (e.g., AWS, GCE).
- Enjoy being part of a small, highly focused team.
- We are open to candidates with no prior experience leading the development of a machine learning product, but who are excited and motivated in learning the ropes.
- Experience working with statistical packages and solutions like R, SAS, S+ or others.
- Experience with Artificial Intelligence, Natural Language Processing and Deep Learning!
- Have had a leadership role (e.g. tech lead, team lead) on a product development team.
- You love microservices.
In addition to working with deeply passionate and intelligent people in a dynamic and open environment, we also offer:
How We Work
- Competitive salaries and company equity
- Comprehensive benefits package including dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family, cell phone allowance and more!
- Generous paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to 12 paid holidays and ample sick leave
- Monthly company wide hack days
- Catered lunch daily and plenty of snacks and drinks
- Convenient, central Toronto office location, easily accessible to public transportation
PagerDuty Engineering teams are set up to be mini innovation pods. We practice what we preach, and believe that every engineer can build great products to delight our thousands of customers.
Teams are set up to be able to achieve success autonomously while remaining accountable for results. Every team has full vertical ownership of their own services and are able to release as frequently as they want to. We practice the mantra of ‘Code It. Ship It. Own It.’ and believe that teams are most successful when they are able to own every decision in order to run their software. Every team gets to be a part of our growth by building highly resilient and durable software that scales from our startup customers to Fortune 100 companies.
We deploy over 1000 times a month and every engineer is able to ship high quality software to production on their own. Teams own their own tests and yes, we use PagerDuty to manage incidents. Teams own their own way of working and can use the agile practices of their choice to work collaboratively via incremental delivery.
We support engineers to explore ideas via monthly Hack Days, actively attack our own infrastructure weekly to learn and get better, host an annual internal technical conference called PagerCon, ask our engineers to represent PagerDuty at industry events, and contribute to the open source community.
Each team has a dedicated Engineering Manager, Product Owner, and agile coach to help support our people and teams to be successful. We believe that Management is a separate skill set and have different career paths for our engineers and managers including a full ‘stay technical’ career track.About Us
PagerDuty is the leading digital operations management platform for businesses. Our SaaS-based solution empowers over 8,000 small, mid-size and enterprise global customers such as Comcast, eHarmony, Slack and Lululemon with the insight to intelligently respond to critical disruptions for exceptional customer experience. PagerDuty was founded to deliver a new and innovative approach to increase business response and efficiency. We follow agile methodology to build software that enables full-stack event intelligence, response orchestration, continuous learning and delivery, and facilitate the journey towards improved application, system, and service performance and availability. When brand reputation depends on customer satisfaction, PagerDuty arms businesses with the insight to proactively manage incidents and events that may impact customers across your IT environment. We were recently included in the 2016 Deloitte Technology Fast 500, Inc. 500 and Forbes Cloud 100 lists.
Our dedication to our customers, collaborative spirit, ‘risk, fail, learn’ attitude, and a Get Stuff Done ethos drive innovation through our product and our culture. We are incredibly proud of our people programs that enable our employees to deliver their best every day. From our performance achievement philosophy to our great benefits, our robust culture of recognition to our commitment to inclusion and diversity, solving complex technical problems to delivering an amazing customer experience, PagerDuty is where you can do the some of the best work of your career.
Learn more at www.pagerduty.com. Follow our blog and connect with us on Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Facebook. PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accord with applicable law.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
Senior Software Engineer, Analytics Toronto
Senior Database Engineer Toronto
Senior Software Engineer Toronto
Software Engineer Toronto
Senior Software Engineer Remote
Director of Engineering San Francisco
Software Engineer, Full Stack San Francisco
Global Compliance Program Manager San Francisco
Senior Software Engineer San Francisco
Senior Android Engineer San Francisco
Engineering Manager Toronto
Application Security Engineer San Francisco
Principal Engineer, APIs and Developer Platforms San Francisco
Senior Software Development Engineer, Data Science Toronto
See all opportunities