Newsela is used by over 11 million students and teachers in more than 75% of U.S. schools.
Newsela is the best way for students to master nonfiction in any subject. By combining real-time assessments with differentiated content from premier daily news sources like the Associated Press, Washington Post, and Scientific American and eminent nonfiction publishers like Smithsonian, The King Center, and Biography.com, Newsela makes reading-to-learn relevant, interesting, and effective regardless of interest or ability.
All articles are published at five reading levels with built-in assessments to engage K-12 students in high-interest nonfiction, covering current events, primary sources, speeches, biographies, and historical news. With Newsela, teachers across English, Social Studies, and Science have everything they need to inspire their students to develop the critical nonfiction literacy skills that will empower them to take part in conversations about complex issues, and prepare them for academic and professional success.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting directly to the Co-Founder & Chief Product Officer, the Director of Product Design will be the senior-most design professional at Newsela, responsible for all user experience research, testing and design operations. As a one of the senior members of the Product Team, you will help drive the company to continue to innovate and revolutionize the education industry. Specifically, you will:
- Recruit, retain, motivate and develop a high-performing design team. Coach and mentor a team of 5 high-potential individuals while providing effective performance feedback to improve and develop optimum performance of the team.
- Produce non-obvious user experience insights to create innovative designs for Newsela, which is growing incredibly quickly (5M+ new registered users in last six months) and increasing in complexity.
- Establish and maintain high quality interactions with our products that build user growth and engagement.
- Identify ways to improve the user experience both visually and by measurable user outcomes.
- 10+ years of experience in design positions in successful high-growth ecommerce, online media or subscription-based companies. 5+ years leading and managing teams.
- Proven leader with ability to attract outstanding talent, create and sustain a culture of high performance.
- Strong technical ability; capable of conducting mission-critical design discussions with Product Managers and business leads.
- Skilled at implementing and optimizing organizational structure and creative development processes that allow the design team to scale with the company.
- Product-minded design leader with the confidence and ability to be a thought-partner to business leads and CPO.
- Track record of translating product vision into actionable plans that lead to the creation of high-quality user experience and engagement.
- High level of intellect with demonstrable emotional intelligence and empathy.
- Highly collaborative and competent working cross-functionally to define and deliver on short- and long-term product development goals.
- Ability to actively communicate, inspire and motivate all levels of staff, specifically highly capable designers, in a nimble environment.
- Passionate about Newsela’s company mission and committed to transform the way that students learn.
- Carries himself or herself with confidence and speaks clearly with conviction.