The Mortgage Banker will be responsible for developing new retail mortgage business and achieving individual sales and profitability goals.
This position will actively pursue leads generated through Branch visits and referrals in order to secure new mortgage sales.
Through providing exceptional customer service and advocacy, the role will build, maintain and expand customer relationships in order to generate business opportunities.
This role will prequalify prospective home buyers and advise them on financing alternatives.
In addition, the Mortgage Banker will provide guidance to customers throughout mortgage application and processing activities.
This position will ensure that own sales efforts are aligned with Regional mortgage growth and profitability objectives.
This role will support mortgage sales and marketing efforts within assigned region, and seek opportunities to expand customers relationship with BMO Harris Bank
60%: Mortgage Sales and Support
- Create and execute individual sales plans and revenue goals for mortgage sales through Branch visits and referrals.
- Successfully execute on all promotional mortgage marketing plans in order to meet or exceed mortgage production goals.
- Develop complete understanding of customer needs.
- Analyze customer financial, credit data and other relevant information to evaluate level of risk.
- Present viable financial alternatives and advice to customers regarding how mortgage products can best fulfill customer needs.
- Serve as an advocate for the customer during application and processing activities.
- Communicate frequently and clearly to set expectations, keep abreast of developments and provide excellent customer service.
- Receive customer applications, quote mortgage rates/points and complete necessary follow-up activities to acquire mortgage sales.
- Identify opportunities to refer customers to other BMO Harris products and services.
- Provide assistance in the implementation of targeted marketing programs, promotions and initiatives.
- Also assist in achieving market CRA goals and executing CRA activities.
20%: Client Relationships
- Identify prospects to gain new business, including broadening and deepening relationships with existing clients as well as following up on new leads through Branch referrals.
- Seek opportunities to expand network by obtaining referrals from existing relationships.
- Participate in various community events to generate interest in BMO Harris mortgage products and services.
- Adhere to all required lending policies, procedures and standards, including First Principles and BMO Harris Code of Business Conduct and Ethics.
- Act in accordance with regulatory and compliance requirements that include, but are not limited to, Anti-Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing Reporting requirements, FCAC consumer provision requirements, and Privacy Act provisions in accordance with Bank policies and procedures.
- Follow security and safeguarding procedures and apply appropriate due diligence in accordance with Bank policy for the prevention of loss due to fraud, robbery, counterfeiting, money laundering or defalcation.
- Maintain the confidentiality of both customer and Bank information ensuring compliance with Bank Policies and Procedures.
- Understand risks and take appropriate actions as they relate to personal banking, deposit and investment products, including all documentation, and any other requirements to maintain operational integrity.
Knowledge and Skills
Education and Experience:
- 1 to 2 years of previous mortgage loan origination experience required.
- Experience in mortgage sales within the last 12 months.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required,
- Bachelors Degree preferred
- This position requires Credit Qualification.
- The incumbent must possess a basic level of Credit knowledge and skills and a basic level of Portfolio Management knowledge and skills according to the standards established within the Credit Qualification Process Policies and Procedures.
- Fundamental understanding and knowledge of the mortgage lending process and applicable regulatory requirements.
- Understanding of the credit and lending process and related systems.
- Proven sales experience with the ability to meet production standards of $12 Million over a 12 month period.
- Strong interpersonal, sales and customer service skills.Strong communication and relationship building skills.
- Demonstrated PC/computer skills with solid understanding of MS Office and the ability to use the Banks loan origination system and other applicable mortgage applications.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong business acumen with ability to convert prospects to profitable customers.
Required Credit Skills:
- Basic to intermediate negotiation skills.
- Basic to intermediate analytical skills.
For employees who will be working in the U.S. the following applies:
This position will act as an originator of consumer loans as defined by the Secure and Fair Enforcement for Mortgage Licensing Act (the S.A.F.E. Act) and the Bank will instruct you on how to comply with the requirement to register with the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System Registry.
We’re here to help
At BMO Harris Bank we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the center of everything we do – helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future—the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we’re changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO Harris Bank team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmoharriscareers.com.
BMO Harris Bank is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. BMO Harris Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer for all, inclusive of Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Persons with Disabilities.
Retail Lending & Mortgages
US Retail and Business Banking-X000004