As designer #1, you’ll own our core design challenge: make data science accessible to everyone. The most powerful analytics infrastructure in the world doesn't matter if people can't access that power and understand the results.
Despite major advances in technology, most people rely on someone else to extract insight for them. At best, this creates bottlenecks and slows teams down. At worst, people ignore data altogether and make guesses.
We want you to change this behavior. You will:
- Design new products. You’ll guide the creation process: conceiving features, iterating on prototypes, and crafting launch pages. You’ll focus on intuitive interactions, but you’ll also gain broad exposure to dataviz, user research, branding, and copywriting.
- Keep humans top-of-mind. The perfect analytics tool won’t just look pretty. It’ll help humans better collaborate and tell stories with data. Analytics drives decision-making, and decision-making is fundamentally done by teams.
- Work closely with engineers. Heap sits right on the edge of technical feasibility; many of our product launches were the first of their kind. You’ll work closely with engineers to stay aware of technical constraints (and new possibilities!).
- Give Heap an identity. People will make their first impressions of us based on our brand. You’ll work with the entire team to enforce a consistent aesthetic and an authentic voice across all our user touchpoints: marketing pages, docs, emails, and more.
- (Bonus) Incorporate stats and machine learning. We firmly believe that analytics tools will evolve to be more predictive. To this end, you should be willing to learn basic statistical concepts (e.g. how supervised learning works).
- Strong visual and interaction design sense.
- Experience with the end-to-end process of designing, shipping, and refining a product.