An exciting opportunity exists to join the Physical and Post Technology team as a Senior Media Systems Engineer. Our engineering team is expanding and we are looking for talented engineers to support Industrial Light & Magic and Lucasfilm technology based at the Presidio campus in San Francisco.
ResponsibilitiesThe Senior Media Systems Engineer is responsible for front line maintenance of all department related computer and A/V equipment. The engineer is also required to assist the director with the planning, designing, procurement and implementation of media technology systems. Experience with Avid media composer is a requirement.
- Installation, maintenance and troubleshooting of equipment associated with various technical and operational departments throughout ILM and LUCASFILM
- Frontline maintenance and troubleshooting of all physical and post production related equipment including professional and consumer grade AV equipment, Avid editorial systems, digital cinema projectors, monitors, video teleconference systems, AV control systems, motion capture equipment, video cameras, media streaming appliances, video/audio routers, theater control systems etc.
- Maintenance of media server hardware and associated software
- Maintenance and calibration of Christie digital cinema DLP projectors
- Create and maintain documentation using various tools including Jira, Confluence, Microsoft Office, CAD, Visio etc.
- Perform hardware, firmware and software upgrades
- Provide basic technical training to staff as required
- Ensure assigned projects are delivered on time, within budget and to the agreed standard of quality and functionality
- Efficient workflow and pipeline design for post-production services
- Liaise with IT engineers to maximize system performance and reliability
- Perform programming database modifications to video and KVM routing systems
- Prepare high-quality written reports and presentations for management
- Create and update control system databases for various automation systems
- Participate in off-hours maintenance, upgrades and installation for systems when required
- Participate in ‘On Call’ rotation
- Work to ensure best security practices are met and maintained
- Conduct research and evaluate new technology and trends to assess their impact on current and future workflows
- 5-7 years installation and maintenance experience in post-production facilities with complex audio/video systems
- Up-to-Date knowledge and a passion for technology relating to media and post-production
- Solid understanding and practical experience of various media file formats, compression schemes and wrappers.
- Solid understanding and practical experience with video and audio transport streams
- Familiarity and practical experience with professional post production equipment such as video routers, DCI projectors, disk-based playback appliances, SAN and NAS file servers, Linux work stations, network routers and switches, KVM routers, A/V control systems etc.
- Linux, OS X and Windows administration skills
- Familiarity with AV networking streaming technology
- Experience troubleshooting TCP/IP, Ethernet, UDP, NFS & CIFS protocols, DNS, DHCP, Fiber channel and familiar with basic network troubleshooting tools
- Ability to identify and address technical issues without direct supervision, while also working effectively as part of a team
- Basic color theory knowledge including a understanding of REC709/DCI color space, gamma encoding, color sub sampling etc.
- Knowledge and experience with various file formats used in post-production including EXR, DPX, TIFF, JPEG2000, H.264, DNX, HEVC, PRORES etc.
- Communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical staff
- Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner: Gather and analyze information skillfully; develop alternative solutions; work well in group problem solving situations; use reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Advanced understanding of and experience with Linux, OS X and Windows operating systems
- Avid certified or wide spread experience with Avid media composer and interplay systems
- Experience with maintaining and calibrating projection equipment, specifically Christie DLP
- Understanding and experience with storage and networking infrastructure
Required Education BS in engineering or equivalent professional experience required