Who is Mastercard?
We are the global technology company behind the world’s fastest payments processing network. We are a vehicle for commerce, a connection to financial systems for the previously excluded, a technology innovation lab, and the home of Priceless®. We ensure every employee has the opportunity to be a part of something bigger and to change lives. We believe as our company grows, so should you. We believe in connecting everyone to endless, priceless possibilities.
Director, Software Engineering
MasterCard Labs is MasterCard’s global Research and Development division, focused on the evolution of technological and consumer trends and the implication of these evolutions on the payments industry. Our tried, tested and proven methodologies enable us to generate new ideas from a variety of sources, and fast-track the best ideas from concept through prototype, pilot and into commercialization faster than ever before.
Team Purpose - Labs for Financial Inclusion
• MasterCard Labs for Financial Inclusion is focused on leveraging innovative technology to drive wide scale growth of financial inclusion across Africa.
• The Labs for Financial Inclusion will leverage proven MasterCard Labs innovation methodologies, along with MasterCard assets and expertise, to ideate, prototype, pilot and bring to market breakthrough payment solutions which address the financial needs of the poor.
Technology/R&D Lead - Labs for Financial Inclusion
• As Technology and R&D lead, you will play a pivotal role in launching and establishing MasterCard Labs for Financial Inclusion, as well as launching new products developed by the Lab.
• Reporting to the ‘Head of MasterCard Labs for Financial Inclusion’, you will manage a team of 7 engineers driving hard to bring innovative financial inclusion focused payment solutions to the unbanked and underserved in East Africa.
• You will partner with the Product development lead to define the product vision (including the product roadmap) and own the product development lifecycle, working with and motivating cross-functional teams in a lean start-up environment.
Questions to consider:
• Are you an experienced leader who is passionate about innovative technology and its potential to make the world a better place from a financial inclusion perspective?
• Want to lead a world class technology team?
• Love coding?
• Enjoy a fast paced, start-up culture?
• Have a passion for delivering great user experiences?
• Have a track record of building robust, flexible, scalable backend systems AND/OR beautiful and intuitive user interfaces?
• Have experience leading a team of Software Developers?
• Provide day-to-day leadership of the technology team: hiring, setting and tracking objectives, obtaining resources, overseeing task completion; and reporting progress, accomplishments and hurdles to the Head of the Lab.
• Define and own the Lab’s technology strategy, roadmap and priorities.
• Support the team in the development of high quality, secure, scalable software solutions based on technical requirement specifications and design artefacts within expected time and budget.
• Ensure your team meets all requirements for programming, testing, implementation, documentation, maintenance and support of systems application software in adherence with MasterCard standards, processes and best practices.
• Partner with the product development, strategic partnerships and marketing leads on market needs, feature prioritization, and identification of product enhancements.
• Work with the rest of the team to meet scheduled due dates, while identifying emerging issues and recommending solutions for problems and independently perform assigned tasks.
• Constantly look for opportunities to enhance standards and improve process efficiency.
All About You
Skills / Abilities
• Java JEE, Spring, Hibernate, App Servers
• Database Oracle, MySQL, Postgres, Hadoop
• Mobile iOS, Android, J2ME, JavaCard
• Strong communication skills -- both verbal and written – with proven relationship, collaborative and organizational skills.
• Experience of and ability to recruit, develop, lead and manage the performance of a specialist team of developers in an agile environment.
• Must have a ‘Roll-up-your-sleeves’
entrepreneurial, start-up attitude.
• Strong background in software development.
• Strong experience in mobile and web development.
• Bachelor's degree.
Equal Opportunity Employer