In a nutshell:
IDEO San Francisco is in search of a seasoned Interaction Design Lead capable of managing projects, with a focus on leading teams towards integrating digital designs into products, services, experiences, spaces, and brands. You will collaborate across disciplines to create design solutions for a diversity of industries, scale and media. In this role you get exposure to and involvement with all parts of the design process: proposal writing, user research, concept development, prototyping, working with developers and design stewardship. We’re looking for someone who is equally passionate about designing elegant user experiences as they are using systems thinking and human-centered design as a source of inspiration to solve complex problems.
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
Senior Interaction Designers are asked to be the Project Lead on our work. A Project Lead is one of IDEO’s most valued roles. You are central to shaping our work, teams, process, and client relationships. You’ll focus on some of the most impactful work we do leading projects and multi-disciplinary teams to bring about change inside and outside of IDEO.
Once here you will:
- Focus on a range of digital, large-scale and complex challenges. Key activities include design leadership, structured thinking to inform information architectures and other conceptual frameworks, talent development, and business development.
- Have the opportunity to develop a unique point of view about the ways media and technology are impacting human behaviors and attitudes. Between understanding the pulse of our changing times and digging your hands into creating leading-edge solutions, you’ll help our studio build its technology chops while challenging the world to see opportunities it hadn’t yet noticed.
- You’ll go out into the world for inspiration, and use research-based insights to spot opportunities for innovation within constraints.
- You’ll champion the impact of design on everyday life.
- You’ll build an understanding of the value and dynamics of client organizations, and partner with clients to drive innovation.
- You’ll design digital, service, organizational, and systems experiences; think beyond screen UI.
- You’ll work with an incredibly diverse and passionate group of world-class designers on a wide array of local and global challenges.
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. Sure we work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
Some previous projects to check out:
HBO: Designing the Future Vision for HBO. Navigating an uncharted media landscape
The Times: The Future of Digital News. Designing a multi-layered, multimedia content strategy for a venerable British newspaper
Ebay: Putting a Human Face on Big Data. Giving eBay deep customer insights through a new digital tool.
PillPack: Launching an Online Pharmacy Startup. Designing strategies for a venture that redefines how customers engage with pharmacies.
- 5-7 years interaction/graphic design experience across a variety of digital media.
- You’re a confident and flexible leader of interdisciplinary teams where harmonious collaboration is imperative; your sweet spot is the intersection of design, media and technology.
- You are an experienced interaction designer and regardless of your current role, you love getting your hands dirty in the design process to create elegant digital experiences.
- You are great at understanding how to turn human behavior and needs into real concepts and are obsessed with what design and technology can do for people.
- You're comfortable in front of clients speaking to various aspects of the work, whether that's the strategy, the design process, the prototype goals or the fidelity of deliverables—and how they reflect the goals of the client. We ask our leads to be both bold (creative confidence) and humble (human-centered) in their interactions with clients.
- You are passionate about building, managing, and continually evolving digital products throughout the product life cycle.
- You get what it takes to build something—regardless of the means. Overseeing a development partner or working with an in-house team, you’re comfortable vetting and aligning partners, and shepherding stakeholders on the journey of bringing software to market.
- You understand basic Human Centered Design philosophy, are comfortable with ambiguity and want to push design methodologies.
- You can distinguish between “good” and “great” work. You have professional experience in user interface design, time-based media, strong information visualization skills, and prototyping skills.
- You can nurture a cohesive product vision and finesse visual designs at a vector or pixel level, if necessary.
- You understand that experimentation leads to earlier success, and that prototyping can be done at various levels of fidelity. You have experience doing and leading that work. Your first inclination is to build a prototype.
- You’re a systems thinker; you love solving big, hairy problems and can logically visualize complex systems, user interaction flows and beautiful user interface.
Application requirements and instructions:
Please submit your cover letter, resume, portfolio and any additional materials to be considered for this opportunity.