Prodigy Finance - who we are
Prodigy Finance is a platform that enables financing for international postgraduate students at the world’s best universities, whilst delivering competitive financial and social returns to alumni, institutional and private investors.
This borderless and innovative model enables education loan financing to students from across the globe, whilst using predicted post-degree affordability rather than present-day salary. Since 2007, Prodigy Finance has processed over US$250 million through the platform to fund students from 118 nationalities, with repayment rates in excess of 99%.
Our team of 110 (and growing) is already truly global. Our head office is in London but the majority of the team is based in beautiful Cape Town. We also have an office in New York plus team members based in Europe and Asia.
We are funded by some of the best, pre-eminent institutions and entrepreneurs in the world. We’ve raised over $100 million from Credit Suisse, Balderton Capital and Deutsche Bank, and also private investors who themselves have grown $1bn+ companies such as Ed Wray, the Co-founder of Betfair and David Stevens, the Co-founder of Admiral Insura
Why this is an amazing opportunity
This role is perfect for an experienced UX/UI designer who wants to supercharge their career by experiencing first-hand what it is like to be part of an energetic, extremely fast growing company.
The sense of impact and reward will be huge. You will help to build a product which makes a very real difference in the world. Be a part of delivering socially responsible financial services to the masses; make it possible for students from more than 100 countries to obtain the finance to fulfil their dream of studying at the world’s top universities and schools.
We are a small non-hierarchical team; this means that you are going to get exposure to all aspects of our business immediately. You’ll gain as much accountability as you can handle and have a huge influence on scaling the company.
Our team is very international and very sociable; you will interact with the broader business on a regular basis. The position will be based in Cape Town.
One of our goals is to build one of the top FinTech teams and cultures anywhere in the world. This means putting a lot of time into ensuring we only hire people with exceptional potential, and creating the best working environment possible. If you want to work somewhere where you're learning from some of the best brains in Fintech, this would be a good fit.
Why join Prodigy Finance
- Be a part of a pioneering global growth company.
- Experience the excitement and learn from being part of an incredibly fast-growing young company. No kidding - exponential growth. Happening right now!
- Be pivotal in scaling the business by identifying smart solutions and partners with tech at the heart of it.
- Enjoy the agility and flexibility offered by a startup culture. A sociable, relaxed and friendly work environment (with a serious coffee culture where you can wear shorts to work).
- We will help you make your mark. Make a real impact on the business and experience a steep learning curve with huge opportunities to grow and develop.
- Gain an inside perspective on the functioning of a venture-backed Fintech startup, backed by one of the top European VCs, learn day-to-day management and build functional expertise.
- Build a platform that helps to make a very real difference in the world.
- Receive a competitive salary and share options in the company. Since you will be playing a key role in making us successful, it is only right that you share in the rewards of our success.
What you will do in the role
As a UX/UI Designer who will work in the product team alongside a group of talented product specialists to develop a world class website and mobile experience to support our student loan management services. Your work will come to life by working closely with our scrum development teams through our incremental delivery process.
Specific responsibilities are to:
- Collaborate with product management and engineering to define and implement best in class UX solutions.
- Create wireframes, storyboards, user flows, wire frames, process flows and personas to envisage the product evolution.
- Establish and promote design guidelines, best practices and UX and UI design standards.
- Serve as the “go to”, offering in-depth knowledge of user interface best practices and standards.
- Keep interfaces easy to use by designing elegant solutions to complex workflows.
- Conduct user research and evaluate feedback.
- Analyse web and mobile app data, competitor analyses, industry trends, and usability studies to develop requirements.
- Review post launch metrics to assess how we drive continuous improvement.
- Establish and maintain a consistent look and feel across all our online product offerings by collaborating with marketing and other departments to create a unified customer experience.
What you will be judged on
You’ll be measured on the following:
- Your ability to input user experience enhancements to the agile development teams for continuous improvement of the customer experience.
- The improvement measured in the analytics data supporting the web and mobile platforms.
- Your ability to think strategically but deliver real change incrementally.
- The progression on the customer roadmap to a unified customer experience across platforms.
What you need to be great at
- Lead and direct the design process including information architecture, interaction, user interface and visual design. Consistently keeps up to date with industry knowledge and changes. Able to work independently and mentor team members.
- Analytical thinking capability; logical, systematic, strategic and pragmatic, strong attention to detail; both quantitative and qualitative; can process large amounts of data from disparate sources; able to learn new concepts and business issues quickly.
- Problem-solving aptitude; Able to conduct research to define complex problems and prepare responses to anticipated questions and queries. Able to make logical conclusions, anticipate obstacles, and consider different approaches. Constantly seeking improvements and coming up with new suggestions. Comfortable setting best practice.
- Bias to action; create ideas, think outside the box, problem solver and solution finder, proactive, use initiative to develop and improve. Decisive and action-orientated and takes calculated risks. Upbeat and positive attitude. Maintains high performance and motivates the team when under pressure.
- Structured in an unstructured environment; highly organised, ability to multi-task and project manage. Can correctly prioritise multiple issues in order to achieve the best outcome. Identifies opportunities and creates structure, systems and processes from scratch. Able to understand the bigger picture and how your team and role contributes to the success of the business.
- Relationship building and team spirit; collaborates with team members from various functions and able to pull groups together. Listens well, asks questions and solicits feedback. Encourages everyone in the team to voice their ideas and work together. Shares knowledge and develops and empowers.
Who we are looking for; track record must haves
- Experience with user interface design patterns and UCD methodologies.
- Demonstrable UI design skills with a strong portfolio.
- Solid experience in creating wireframes, storyboards, user flows, process flows and personas.
- Experience working in a scrum development environment.
- Studied Human Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, or related.
- Up to date with the latest UI trends and technologies.
- Have worked with an agile development teams focused on test and learn strategies.
- Enjoy wearing multiple hats: UX designer, visual designer, UX researcher.
Experience that would be nice to have (but we’ll trade off if everything else fits)
- Ideally you will have a FinTech or financial services background.
- Mobile application UX and UI design experience.
- Have experience developing websites or come from a technical background.
- Startup experience. Sometimes the earth moves beneath your feet at Prodigy Finance so you've got to be comfortable with ambiguity, able to wear lots of hats, and adapt easily as we continue to grow.
The Prodigy Finance fit; attributes which run true in everyone at Team Prodigy
To be an A player at Prodigy Finance, you need to possess – in spades - the following attributes:
Innovative + Smart
Be curious enough to want to know more, think out the box, maybe even break the box, show initiative and be smart about it to find implementable, impactful solutions.
International + Accountable
Push yourself to be better every day. Work with others across the world, be resilient, add value and then hold yourself accountable. Encourage and celebrate each other.
Energetic + Fun
Sense of humour = survival. Bring energy and fun. Wear your heart on your sleeve. Work hard and find the time to play. We’re in this together.
Do you want to be our next UX/UI Designer? Here’s what to do now:
If this sounds exciting and you'd like to have an informal chat, get in touch below and tell us why you want to work at Prodigy Finance.