The Indiana University Kokomo Library invites applications for the position of Assistant Librarian, Information Literacy Coordinator. The IU Kokomo Library seeks a collaborative and innovative librarian to provide strategic leadership for the library’s information literacy program. This tenure-track position is responsible for promoting, teaching, coordinating, and assessing the information literacy program. Departmental liaison activities include teaching, learning and research support for assigned areas. This position will be open until filled.
One of eight campuses of Indiana University, Indiana University Kokomo, is a comprehensive non-residential campus located 50 miles north of Indianapolis in Kokomo, Indiana, a city with a population of about 57,000. Committed to student success, the campus serves approximately 3,230 students from a 14-county area in north-central Indiana. IU Kokomo has around 260 full-time faculty and staff. Associate, baccalaureate, and master’s degrees are offered. Additional information about Indiana University Kokomo can be accessed at http://www.iuk.edu. This institution is a provider of ADA services. Persons with disabilities who need assistance to participate in this application process should contact the Office of Affirmative Action at 765-455-9316.
Indiana University Kokomo seeks faculty skilled at working with members of diverse cultures and committed to preparing students to be engaged members of an increasingly diverse society. Indiana University Kokomo is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX.
- Develop policies and procedures necessary for the library instruction program
- Promote the information literacy program to Indiana University Kokomo faculty and administrators
- Work with discipline faculty and liaison librarians to incorporate information literacy into the curriculum
- Coordinate information literacy instruction for the first-year writing course ENG-W 131, including communicating with the Director of Composition, maintaining the embedded guides in Canvas, collaboratively designing lesson plans, and assigning course sections to librarians
- Teach library and information literacy sessions for classes and other groups
- Oversee the development and maintenance of instructional and informational materials, in all formats (e.g., Library webpages, tutorials, LibGuides, quizzes, handouts) and assign librarians to develop materials as necessary
- Assess the library instruction program and classroom teaching
- Provide reference service to students, faculty, staff, and the IU Kokomo service area
- Serve as subject liaison to support teaching, learning, and research in assigned areas
- Encourage, lead, and empower liaison librarians in their teaching-related professional development
Basic Qualifications include,
- MLS/MIS/MLIS or equivalent advanced degree from an ALA accredited institution (or international equivalent)
- Understanding of information literacy principles and reference services
- Excellent presentation and instruction skills
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing equity and inclusion with an understanding of the library needs of a diverse community
- Experience providing reference and research support
- Knowledge of or experience with tools which support online learning such as course management system, screen recording and video editing software, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and in a team situation
- Ability to meet the responsibilities and requirements of a tenure-track appointment
- Effective problem-solving, analytical, and organization skills
- Collegial attitude and enthusiasm for innovation
- Availability for occasional evening and weekend work
Department Contact for Questions
Questions regarding the position or application process may be directed to the Dean of the
Library, Yan He, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read Full Description
- Post-MLS library instruction services work experience with increasing job responsibilities
- Coursework or experience in information literacy pedagogy informed by the ACRL Framework for Information Literacy in Higher Education
- Coursework or experience in student learning/information literacy assessment
- Demonstrated experience with proposing and/or implementing actions that improve equity and inclusion in your work
- Demonstrated experience building collaborative relationships with colleagues, library users, and/or community partners
- Educational background in business, education, nursing, allied health, or sciences
- Supervisory experience