About the Role:
Our users build some of the most amazing construction projects in the world, and our apps are used every day in the field. PlanGrid is looking for a SRE to join our Systems team. If you love working on software that is quite literally building the physical world around you, let’s talk.
Systems at PlanGrid -- much like PlanGrid itself -- is at an inflection point. We're hiring lots of engineers and need to be able to ship their code rapidly and reliably to production and to make sure that their code runs correctly once it lands there. We're applying ops elbow grease leavened with enough development to automate ourselves out of a job ... and to move on to more interesting problems. We believe in making developers responsible for the correct functioning of their code in production with DevOps providing the experience and expertise to make that possible.
You should be passionate about getting in front of problems instead of waiting until things are on fire. If you dream of stability, think in metrics, and love building fault-tolerant systems, we want you on the team. Together we:
- Implement consistent development workflows across teams
- Maintain Jenkins servers and help develop our build tools
- Improve diagnostic tools like logging, monitoring, and bug reporting
- Write tools to automatically deploy/scale our HTTP services and our asynchronous workers
- Lend DevOps expertise to other teams to help track down performance/stability problems
- Help development teams gather and present metrics for their various projects and services
- Build, automate, update, and maintain shared infrastructure e.g. postgres, redis, async workers infrastructure, internal services, etc
- Plan and execute large architectural changes such as migrating backend services out of heroku, rebuilding/simplifying our custom EC2 autoscaler, and moving towards international hosting
- Participate in PagerDuty rotations for core infrastructure every ~8 weeks
- Obsess about infrastructure as code, and document egregiously whenever this is not possible
In the first 6 months we specifically want you to:
- Plan and execute the movement of our core web services out of Heroku. We hope you can bring your CloudFormation, Troposhere, Docker, SaltStack, Python, etc... skills to the table (with an opinion on how to use them)
- Write new developer and deploy tools for our Heroku → AWS migration
- Migrate several small Heroku Postgres instances onto our shared Postgres servers, including disaster recovery scenario planning and testing for them
- Plan and develop best practices for privilege levels for AWS IAM
- Help roll out AWS “consolidated billing” accounts (subaccounts)
PlanGrid is construction software made for the field. PlanGrid allows plans and markups to be instantaneously shared with everyone on a construction project, no matter where they are. It lets contractors, architects, and building owners collaborate from their desktop or mobile devices. We emerged from Y Combinator in 2012 and has since secured funding from Sequoia Capital, Tenaya Capital, Founders Fund, Northgate, Box, 500 Startups, Y Combinator, Navitas Capital, and Google Ventures.
Our cloud-based platform is storing more than 30 million construction documents digitally, making us the biggest digital repository in the world.
We’re located in the Mission district in San Francisco (1 block from BART). Our office is wheelchair accessible.
Learn more about us at plangrid.com/about
Health/dental/vision insurance with zero contributions for you or your dependents
Construction site tours of the biggest projects in SF using PlanGrid (past tours include: SF General Hospital, etc etc)
Conference fund to support ongoing learning + development
Catered lunches 3x/week
Whatever gear you want (most engineers have a retina MBPs and Apple Thunderbolt displays)
Free transit pass