The Riyadh Metro project is a consortium led by Bechtel which includes Almabani General Contractors, Consolidated Contractors Company and Siemens.
The consortium will be responsible for the design, construction, train cars, signalling, electrification and integration of Lines 1 and 2 of the new Riyadh Metro system.
Line 1 will stretch from north to south across Riyadh, covering 24 miles (38km). It will include 22 stations and four transfer stations where it will connect with other new metro lines. Much of Line 1 will be underground.
In contrast, Line 2 will be built mostly on a raised strip in the median of the planned freeway. This line will run east to west and will extend more than 15.7 miles (25km) with 13 stations and three transfer stations.
The new lines will feature stations powered by renewable energy and fully automatic trains.
The contract is the largest engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) contract in Bechtel’s history and these lines, along with four others, will form the backbone of Riyadh’s new public transportation network.
General Job Description
Reporting to the Civil Works Joint Venture (CWJV) Assurance Manager the position holder will take a hands-on role in leading the planning, development and delivery of the Operations & Maintenance (O&M) deliverables within the scope of the CWJV’s work. The work will require coordination with the other RMP Consortia, direct interface with the Employer, Transit Systems (Siemens), design teams and implementation / installation subcontractors & equipment suppliers. The work will encompass the review of draft documentation from numerous subcontracted suppliers. The bulk of the O&M Manger’s work will entail management, coordination and production of the required JV documentation including O&M plans, technical documentation, maintenance manuals. The position holder will also be responsible for the review of training & operating manuals submitted by suppliers as a direct input to the above.
- Develop and deliver the CWJV O&M Plan;
- Provide O&M expertise to achieve set deliverables, ensuring coordination with functional teams (both internal & external) to cover O&M task interfaces to support delivery of the O&M Plan and associated deliverables;
- Coordinate the subcontractor’s development and delivery of the system, subsystem and component level O&M technical documentation including; maintenance manuals, troubleshooting guides, corrective & preventive action procedures, special tools user manuals, storage & handling manuals, illustrated parts catalogues and spares holding;
- Develop O&M rules, policies & procedures for the operational phase of the Metro;
- Manage and review engineering deliverables that impact implementation of CWJV’s O&M plans and procedures;
- Review O&M Testing & Commissioning (T&C) documents
- Attend O&M T&C tests and meetings;
- Proactively manage actions to optimise O&M tests processes;
- Review applicable O&M Inspection & Test Plans (ITPs);
- Review proposals for the maintenance contract between Maintenance Contractors and the Employer (Client) and nominated O&M entity;
- Provide advice to the CWJV Assurance Manager and management team on technical matters associated with management of CWJV’s O&M deliverables;
- Review adherence to the BACS Contract, relevant legislation, regulations and directives from relevant authorities in relation to safe operation and maintenance of the Metro;
- Provide input to maintenance occupational safety risk assessments;
- Review and advise on the development of the Capital Assets Replacement Plan;
- Identify overhaul, service and inspections plans that are to be performed by a future Maintenance Contractor in accordance with the O&M requirements;
- Ensure the O&M philosophy and plans support quality of service delivery and defined in CWJV RAM Plans.
- Review and provide advice on the development of the Capital Asset Replacement Plan;
- Develop track access procedures to assure O&M activities are conducted safely in all areas;
- Ensure System and Operational safety requirements (contract & derived) are adequately captured and addressed, then supported by the design verification evidence provided by the CWJV design centers and other entities;
- Identify and assist in managing non-compliances to Employer (Contract) Requirements or standards;
Prepare Plans and Procedures to support the O&M activities for the Riyadh Metro, including:
- CWJV O&M Plan;
- Maintenance and Work Order Workflows;
- Safety and Environmental Management processes working with the CWJV HSQE Manager;
- Maintenance Staffing Plans (including job profiles);
- Training Plans;
- Provision of maintenance support during tendering;
- Provide advice on current world’s best practice for civil and rail infrastructure O&M;
- Review existing designs from an O&M perspective;
- Define the maintenance roles and responsibilities of the O&M contractor and other contractors;
- Ensure consistency and standardisation of approach across Metro;
- Testing & Commissioning planning;
- Perform and carry out other duties as instructed / directed by the Assurance Manager.
- Support the capture of fault finding/rectification data during installation and Test/Commissioning phase as an input to the BACS FRACAS process.
Position Skills & Experience
- Proven track record in Operations & Maintenance Management preferably on major rail or infrastructure project(s), or alternatively in an oil & gas or aviation environment;
- Thorough understanding of all aspects of safety issues related to railway or safety critical maintenance regimes
- Understanding of railway/metro or similar operational regime (airport/oil gas plant) and related Maintenance Management Systems
- Client interface experience and engagement with contractors and subcontractors;
- Provrn experience in an MEP operations & maintenance environment;
- Proven track record at management level within a maintenance organisation;
- Excellent organization skills;
- Ability to negotiate with and influence stakeholders;
- Must be a highly skilled communicator and able to build rapport easily;
- Capable of working independently.
- Mechanical or Electrical Engineering Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent industry related qualification (diploma) or experience;
- Membership of relevant engineering institution (desirable)
Essential Company Requirements
- Ethics: Commitment to BACS Ethical standards as demonstrated by success on prior projects;
- Quality: Commitment to BACS Quality standard as demonstrated by prior Supervisors’ evaluations of work performance. ES&H: Demonstrated commitment to BACS Zero Incident philosophy by prior active engagement and demonstration of ES&H Leadership.
- Leadership: Demonstrated ability to develop and coach effective teams to achieve the deliverables and objectives for the BACS project.
- Respect: Personally committed to respectful behaviors, building the same attitudes within the project personnel; the focus of which is treat people with respect and dignity, listen actively; communicate in a timely and forthright manner and never undermining colleagues.
Operations Manager, Maintenance, Engineer, Electrical, Operations, Manufacturing, Engineering